Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear wiper malfunction
Motor is working and if you push the arm it goes one wipe then stops again ?any idea and if I do have to replace complete motor and drill the digits out can I replace them with bolts ? and what size 8mm

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Not sure it's the motor. Old school wipers had 2 electric feeds first feed to move off from the rest position and another to make it sweep. The switch was connected to the first and permanent live to the other. Moving the arm may make take it into the reach of the second connection. Hope this makes sense! Can you see what / how many wires go to the motor?
(01-08-2017, 03:32 PM)cancunia Wrote:  Not sure it's the motor. Old school wipers had 2 electric feeds first feed to move off from the rest position and another to make it sweep. The switch was connected to the first and permanent live to the other. Moving the arm may make take it into the reach of the second connection. Hope this makes sense! Can you see what / how many wires go to the motor?
Hi I don't post, to be honest I don't know enough to be of much use. But I have a problem with my rear wiper. Thought it had packed in so got another motor but it doesn't work either. So the problem is in the vehicle I presume. You may have a similar problem. Are you getting supply at the motor? There are three wires. One is ground, the other two are 12v. In my wiring diagram I have one that goes to a fuse and one that goes to the BSI. What voltage there should be at either i am not sure. Like I say I really don't know that much there are many on here with vast knowledge. Have you tested the motor off the vehicle or supplied power to it from a source other than the vehicle?
3 wires fits my earlier thinking.
2x 12v & 1x Ground

The fused wire is probably a permanent live (or live with ignition on).
The BSI wire is probably the one that moves the wiper from it's rest position.
(06-08-2017, 09:17 AM)cancunia Wrote:  3 wires fits my earlier thinking.
2x 12v & 1x Ground

The fused wire is probably a permanent live (or live with ignition on).
The BSI wire is probably the one that moves the wiper from it's rest position.

Three wires the same on mine, yellow/green = ground, yellow = permanent live, grey =???. Nothing on the grey wire which may be the wire that goes to the BSI unit. Not sure what voltage should be present at this wire. Got 12v on the yellow. Probably of little help I know but thought I'd share what little I know.
I can't be certain so please don't hold me responsible if you try this, but my guess would be that if you apply 12v to the grey wire it will be the same as the BSI activating the wiper. In any case it would be best to isolate the grey wire from the rest of the car wiring first before trying. An alternative is to try and trace the grey wire back to the BSI.
Maybe someone else on here has a view on this?
My rear wiper is also non-working. I suspect the motor. I tested the plug with a multimeter, and other than the fact that the yellow/green wire is ground, I can't work out the scheme for the other two wires, but both have 12V on them at some point so it's not the wiring.

I took the motor out and tested it on my bench. I think the problem is not the motor itself, but corrosion in the part that sticks through the rear windscreen making it hard to move. I managed to free it off a bit and got some movement applying 12V to the grey wire with a bench supply, but I can't improve it enough to save it, nor work out exactly what the pins do. Cancunia's theory makes sense though.

I drilled the rivets out and have re-installed with bolts, so I'll be able to replace it easily when I source a replacement (which I'll do after I've MOT'd the car next week, in case it should fail miserably). I used M8s, but needed to drill the plastic bushes out very slightly - M6s would have been too loose. It's tricky to get in behind to tighten them, and there's much fumbling and retrieving of things from between the two door skins.

If I get a replacement motor I'll try and bench test it to work out the pin scheme and report back.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to leftfootleashed for this post:
  • edcross1