Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
susspension nock/rattle 1.4i 132k
hi I have a rather annoying nock coming from the front of the pope mobil, on the motorway its preety quiet unless I go over a pot hole,  then I get a clunk!,  it sounds like its either from passanger side or the middle of car, I have tried to check for a worn exhaust rubber but the whole system look pretty new!  I looked at last mot and nothing advised on suspension side so any sugesstions would be great!

based in Portsmouth if anyone would like a look!
(04-10-2017, 11:25 AM)L16mhu Wrote:  hi I have a rather annoying nock coming from the front of the pope mobil, on the motorway its preety quiet unless I go over a pot hole,  then I get a clunk!,  it sounds like its either from passanger side or the middle of car, I have tried to check for a worn exhaust rubber but the whole system look pretty new!  I looked at last mot and nothing advised on suspension side so any sugesstions would be great!

based in Portsmouth if anyone would like a look!

I had a similar problem a while ago. It was the wishbone on my drivers side it would only rattle on full lock at low speed or if you hit a bump in the road. It might not be the problem but if you lift it up at the suspect corner and give the wheel a vigorous shake it should reveal the problem. If not then I'm not sure what it would be.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Daniel
Look up anti-roll bar links ,

Wear in it only shows up when jacked up by the suspension.

Its a common problem and cheap and easy to fix.
2001 1.9d DW8B  Berlingo
If nothing seems to cure it I’d put money on it being a bottom arm, the problem is as soon as you jack it up the joint effectively locks up so you can’t feel any play in it so it gets dismissed but I’ve done loads that knocked on the road with seemingly no play and it turned out to be a bottom arm Wink
(11-10-2017, 07:29 AM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Look up anti-roll bar links ,

Wear in it only shows up when jacked up by the suspension.

Its a common problem and cheap and easy to fix.

Jacking up one side only will load the links up and jacking both sides up loads them up unless the bushes are worn to the point of moving freely... the best time to check an anti roll bar link is wheels loaded with car level otherwise you have to overcome the forces of load from the anti roll bar and if you’ve ever tried to bend an anti roll bar up or down you’ll know what I mean...

Or do you mean when it’s in it’s natural state and not jacked up as per the conventional sense?