Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tailgate won't latch or lock
Any ideas? It means the car won't lock. I've WD40'd the latch so I know it moves fully to the locked position. But even if I rotate it to the locked position the key button or the key in the door won't lock the car. The locks click on all the doors so I know the locking system is working apart from the tailgate.

2009 Hdi 1.6
Will not lock or close shut?
If it doesn't even shut, then you have a mechanical problem with the tailgate mechanism.

The shutting action is mechanical, whereas the locking, unlocking and unlatching is electrical. So if it actually shuts you probably have an electrical issue, whereas if it doesn't even shut the problem is more likely a mechanical one.

So, does it shut?

Gravity
I had a similar problem a few months back, found it was the bottom latch which had moved, so removed the plastic trim and readjusted the latch via the two Torx screws problems solved
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to iscom for this post:
  • Gravity
(31-10-2017, 10:24 AM)iscom Wrote:  I had a similar problem a few months  back, found it was the bottom latch which had moved, so removed the plastic trim and readjusted the latch via the two Torx screws  problems solved

I don't think the French know what loctite is!
(31-10-2017, 09:44 AM)Gravity Wrote:  If it doesn't even shut, then you have a mechanical problem with the tailgate mechanism.

The shutting action is mechanical, whereas the locking, unlocking and unlatching is electrical. So if it actually shuts you probably have an electrical issue, whereas if it doesn't even shut the problem is more likely a mechanical one.

So, does it shut?

Gravity

Thanks for your reply Gravity. It doesn't shut, but I cannot get the latch to shut when the tailgate is open either, using a screwdriver to push the latch to it's closed position it just springs back when released, which would seem to confirm your mechanical diagnosis. Having said that, I realised today that the side brake lights don't work, just the top one, so maybe electrical after all... Puzzling.
(31-10-2017, 10:24 AM)iscom Wrote:  I had a similar problem a few months  back, found it was the bottom latch which had moved, so removed the plastic trim and readjusted the latch via the two Torx screws  problems solved

Thanks Tiscom. As you can see from my reply to Gravity, it may not be a mechanical issue. I'll need to do a bit more delving.
With the tailgate open, can you close the catch on the tailgate itself?
It needs to be pushed much more firmly than it might seem, so that it clicks, and stays 'clicked'.

If so, then it's either an adjustment needed - possibly on the catch on the boot floor - or we're back to an electrical problem. As the brake lights are also suspect, it could be either problem. I have some photos of the wiring inside the tailgate, which may help if it turns out to be electrical.

Gravity
(31-10-2017, 04:55 PM)Gravity Wrote:  With the tailgate open, can you close the catch on the tailgate itself?
It needs to be pushed much more firmly than it might seem, so that it clicks, and stays 'clicked'.

If so, then it's either an adjustment needed - possibly on the catch on the boot floor - or we're back to an electrical problem. As the brake lights are also suspect, it could be either problem. I have some photos of the wiring inside the tailgate, which may help if it turns out to be electrical.

Gravity

Thanks Gravity. I'll have time to look at the problem during the day tomorrow and may be in touch re the photos.
Not a tailgate but I had a similar problem on my right rear door. The door would just bounce open when I tried to close it. What was causing mine was the cable inside the door that runs from the handle to the latch wasn't moving freely. The inner cable had seized inside the outer sleeve. Lots of wd40 aimed down the inside of the cable plus working the cable up and down inside its sleeve freed it off. I did this to both doors and they close perfectly now.

Perhaps there is a similar arrangement in the tailgate?