Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self adjusting clutch cable GGRRRR !!
These self adjusting clutch cables for BE4 gearboxes are complete crap !! £140 every 5k miles is beyond a joke ! I have fitted new clutch kit, arm, guide bush, cable everything, it's all new, now selecting a gear is getting difficult again, every gearchange is stiff and / or grinding.. clutch pedal feels very notchy so it has worn out already.. Absolute shite !!

I can't keep on buying Citroen cables, are the First line / QH or any other cables any good ? I would prefer to get shot of the auto adjuster, has anyone seen a manually adjustable replacement ?

I am II this close to getting shot of this bloody French crap !!
Blue 1.9D van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
Silver 1.9D Mutispace desire 2004 DW8B non Turbo..
White 1.9D Van 2005 DW8B non turbo..
You seriously have a problem if the cable has only lasted this long. The genuine cables are great & should last years.
Personally I would take the box out and look at the clutch, there must be a problem.
Haven't had the pleasure to deal with this issue but I've been eye balling this kit to make my own and bin the auto adjuster when it eventually needs doing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...1670603309

For those coming from the future and the link no longer works:
VENHILL Workshop DIY clutch cable kit, nipples, ferrules, 5 metres cable for motorcycle applications -35gbp

The kit includes:

5 meters (15 ft) of 7mm O/D black PVC coated, spiral wound conduit
5 meters (15 ft) of Teflon liner
5 meters (15 ft) of 2mm O/D galvanized steel wire (1 x 19 strand)
5 ferrules, 8mm OD nose
5 ferrules, 6.5mm OD nose
5 ferrules, 7mm OD nose
1 mid-adjuster, 6mm x 1.25 x 32mm
5 brass barrel nipples, 8mm DIA x 9mm
5 brass barrel nipples, 6mm OD x 10mm
10 brass trumpet nipples, 6mm big end, 3.5mm small end, 9.5mm long, 2.5mm ID
5 general use neoprene boots
(17-11-2017, 07:57 PM)Lighty Wrote:  You seriously have a problem if the cable has only lasted this long. The genuine cables are great & should last years.
Personally I would take the box out and look at the clutch, there must be a problem.

I'm not taking the box out again, I have had it out 4 times, As I say it is all new and less than 1k miles ago, clutch, bearing, guide, lever arm, cable.. ALL NEW.. All GENUINE PARTS..
 These bloody Citroen cables just don't last... and the money they cost is obscene..
AJ Lighty is correct i am afraid - he has his own independent Citroen garage and years of experience. If you have a genuine citroen clutch cable it should last 10 years or the life of a clutch so somthing is wrong.

I would give Lighty a call he is in Derby just look up Mark Lightfoot Derby.

Sorry i cant really help any further mate its difficult from a computer! I know you are miles away but it still may be work you getting mark to have a look see. Mark is about a 140 miles round trip for me and i would still use him to do the jobs i cant do myself anymore. Me= (retired motor vehicle engineer due to health)
(17-11-2017, 09:38 PM)Kokain Wrote:  Haven't had the pleasure to deal with this issue but I've been eye balling this kit to make my own and bin the auto adjuster when it eventually needs doing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...1670603309

For those coming from the future and the link no longer works:
VENHILL Workshop DIY clutch cable kit, nipples, ferrules, 5 metres cable for motorcycle applications -35gbp

The kit includes:

5 meters (15 ft) of 7mm O/D black PVC coated, spiral wound conduit
5 meters (15 ft) of Teflon liner
5 meters (15 ft) of 2mm O/D galvanized steel wire (1 x 19 strand)
5 ferrules, 8mm OD nose
5 ferrules, 6.5mm OD nose
5 ferrules, 7mm OD nose
1 mid-adjuster, 6mm x 1.25 x 32mm
5 brass barrel nipples, 8mm DIA x 9mm
5 brass barrel nipples, 6mm OD x 10mm
10 brass trumpet nipples, 6mm big end, 3.5mm small end, 9.5mm long, 2.5mm ID
5 general use neoprene boots

Do you not have a place near you that fabricates cables?

If you had an old cable maybe they could make you one up with the correct end fitting for the pedal and an adjusting screw on the gearbox end.

Maybe a cable from a Citroen ZX or any other that is a manually adjusted and roughly the same length could be adapted. 

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Lightly..

What is it that will effect the life of the clutch cable when the clutch, lever, bearing, guide bush, are all new and genuine ? What checks can I make ? What is adjustable ? I have checked the routing of the cable and secured it with cable ties, the clutch pedal is rough but not all the time, more sometimes than others, the bite point is close to the bottom, but not all the time.. This is not the first time I have experienced these symptoms on this van, I have tried resetting the auto adjuster... I can't think of anything else but to replaced the cable, again...

Any ideas ?
sounds a nightmare ,could you put some spacers in behind the end of the cable where it joins the arm so it is pulling more ?
The self-adjuster is a nice bit of tech, but...
It can be sensitive to being knocked about, so make certain nothing is hitting the adjuster.

Some of the cheaper clutch cables sold by third-parties are without the adjuster.
(Instead they have a threaded sleeve and nuts to adjust it)

Is the cable for the 1.9D special in some way? Because a third-party cable with adjuster for my 1.4i from Autodoc didn't cost me more than maybe £20 + shipping.

5K miles? after that distance the clutch should barely be worn enough for the adjuster to start adjusting. I'd worry about it being installed correctly or not. The transport lock was removed after it was installed, right?
I replaced the clutch wire twice on our 1.6 16V (petrol). First time it was due to the age of it. Second time the reason probably was a defect clutch bearing(replaced the clutch) Both times the same type of aftermarket wire with automatic adjustment. Kind of spring loaded which is released with a button which the pedal is supposed to activate i believe. Only that the pedal doesn't reach it properly. Not even the workshop that replaced the clutch were able to make it work properly. They also replaced the wire... 

Now I have noticed that there are wires with manual adjustment avaliable. Something like this I think would fit:

https://m.bildelaronline24.se/abs/7796963

The link is probably swedish but I think the site also is available in English.