Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Timing Belt Squealing
Hi all,
Need some help on my 2006 Petrol 1.4l Berlingo.
About 2000kms ago had the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump replaced as a scheduled precaution. The van has done almost 200,000 kms.
Now it has suddenly developed a squeal in the timing belt area. 
I initially thought it may be the aux belt or alt etc, but I have removed the aux belt so this eliminates, a/c power steer pump, etc.

Have taken off the plastic covers that cover the timing belt, and all auxiliaries are disconnected.
This is what you see and hear...
https://youtu.be/Xr8zIzJU3SA
Can't see any discernable wearing, although the edge of the belt is brownish in spots.
When the engine is reved the squealing occurs and there is visible smoke whisps, but very difficult to identify where it is coming from.
The tensioner is an automated type with an indicator for correct tension, and it appears fine. 
However I had the old tensioner so I swapped it in. (Followed all the procedures per manual, pins in flywheel and cam pulley, turned by hand and rechecked with pins etc)
But squeal occurs with old tensioner in place.
Running out of ideas, thinking it could only be water pump bearing ? But it is new, and when I had the tensioner off grabbing it didn't show any sign of play.
There is a small coolant stain at the weep hole but research says this is normal in the first 10 secs of fitting and bedding in of pump, there is no dripping here.
Any suggestions appreciated, I can't be the first person to have this problem.
Steve
(11-01-2018, 09:32 AM)Mudguard Wrote:  When the engine is reved the squealing occurs and there is visible smoke whisps, but very difficult to identify where it is coming from.

As you mentioned above in your original post, you've ruled out the tensioner.
Do you mean that the 'visible smoke' is coming from the area of the timing belt / water pump ?
If so, I'd suspect the water pump but I don't have one of these engines, so don't know too much about the layout.
Do you by any chance still have the old pump?
My guess would be water pump pulley bearing. I had same on a Zafira.
Just because its new don't rule the water pump out,new things can be faulty
Aftermarket water[umps are dreadful quality & we see them leaking & failing quite soon after fitting in some cases.
If you have changed the tensioner, it must be the pump. I would just change it all again for peace of mind.
Thanks for the replies.
The smoke is coming from the timing belt area, in the video you see it near the lamp on the left.
I do have the old pump, so I guess I can swap it back in to see if that is the cause.
When I put the old tensioner back on I did feel the water pump. It didn't seem to have any play but it does make a small noise , not a metallic noise, not a rattle , more like a ' gripe' a sound you would assoc with rubber.( Hard to put in words)
But it was as easy to turn as the old one.

Will report back
Steve
Have a replacement water pump on the way, so will fit that and see if it is the culprit.
Was going to fit the old one to test, but I figure just put on a new one, as if the old one worked I would have to fit a new one anyway as the old one is old.
Worst case I'll have a new spare.
Steve
I'm not certain I like how much the belt is 'wandering'.
You may have issues with one of the shafts or their bearings.
(Check the axles for play and measure the wobble of the cogwheels with a dial indicator)

At 200K your engine is probably getting close to needing a bit of a rebuild, really.
(It's not difficult to do a rebuild of it, really, except for the whole 'pull the engine' part. That's the real pain in the Panda... )
(12-01-2018, 10:59 AM)Gadgetman Wrote:  I'm not certain I like how much the belt is 'wandering'.
You may have issues with one of the shafts or their bearings.
(Check the axles for play and measure the wobble of the cogwheels with a dial indicator)

At 200K your engine is probably getting close to needing a bit of a rebuild, really.
(It's not difficult to do a rebuild of it, really, except for the whole 'pull the engine' part. That's the real pain in the Panda... )

I would consider some sort of rebuild, we quite like the car, does someone sell a 'kit' of parts for a re build? There seems to be a whole lot more support for Berlingo in the UK, not so much here in Australia
Ok, after swapping some parts and numerous inspections, I was able to reject the timing belt as the source of the squealing sound.
As I had thought that the belt was the source, I had limited the runs of the engine to short runs to see if it persisted, as I figured any running may be doing damage.
All this was done with the aux belt off and the harmonic type pulley off as well.
So there isn't much else turning to make noise.
I removed the exhaust heat shield and found the squealing to be exhaust venting out thru a gap in the manifold / catalytic converter joint.
The cat was so blocked it was forcing the exhaust out under pressure and squealing like a kettle. The smoke / dust I saw from the belt area was exhaust channelled around by the heat sheild.
The loss of power experienced before the squeal is classic catalytic converter blogged symptom, whereas the belt was not.
After speaking with a cit mechanic, I cleared out the cat for now, until a replacement can be sourced.
So squealing has gone, but car runs rough, and is emitting a lot of white smoke.
I'm thinking that the head gasket is blown , possibly from the horrible back pressure? Or maybe because these engines are prone to head gaskets going.
Haven't observed any milky oil as yet, and inconclusive as to any bubbles in radiator tank.

Unless I can explain the rough running or smoke (burning collant?) otherwise, looks like the head is coming off

Steve
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mudguard for this post:
  • cancunia