Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New radio fitting nightmare
hey folks long time lurker first time poster

So I recently bought a 2005 2.0 hdi that was sitting up for sometime and after doing a few jobs (starter, clutch, drop links, brakes, springs, top mounts, timing belt, water pump, and a full service) I finally got it  Tested and back on the road.

I am enjoying the performance as I had a 1.9d before.
it didn't have a radio in it so I brought to Halfords and picked up a nice Sony Bluetooth ex display unit for a few quid. I spoke to the chap in store  who was going to fit it and explained the radio reception was terrible so I got a new roof antenna fitted too.

long story short.... after being back a few times now I've a radio that looses its settings and stations once the van is turned off. the poor chap in Halfords is baffled and sick of the sight of me Id say. the reception is terrible still too, dispite a powered windscreen  antenna been fitted now as the new roof antenna hasn't solved the issue.

can some please help me out with either problem?

I done a search but I am really just more confused now than before.
The live wires that keep the memory when turned off have to be swapped over.

The way the wiring is that when ignition is switched off the memory feed for the radio goes off too, it loses the settings.
There are two feeds, one when ignition comes on and one permanent unless the battery is disconnected. The remedy is to change them over.

There have been a lot of posts on here about it.

I would have thought the Halfords man would /should have known about this common problem with radios and Berlingos.
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo 
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
(15-02-2018, 01:27 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  The live wires that keep the memory when turned off have to be swapped over.

That must be a common mistake on almost all cars but it can't be the full story. It must also be a design problem/fault with the radio. I have disconnected the battery from my Combi (and other vehicles) dozens of times and never lost the settings on the radio.

As for the radio reception, I have read lots of reports about signal strength being more critical for DAB. Does the radio do both DAB and FM?
Peugeot Partner Combi 2.0 HDi Escapade
(15-02-2018, 05:27 PM)iamtoo Wrote:  
(15-02-2018, 01:27 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  The live wires that keep the memory when turned off have to be swapped over.

That must be a common mistake on almost all cars but it can't be the full story. It must also be a design problem/fault with the radio. I have disconnected the battery from my Combi (and other vehicles) dozens of times and never lost the settings on the radio.

As for the radio reception, I have read lots of reports about signal strength being more critical for DAB. Does the radio do both DAB and FM?

hey
thanks for the replies

called into Halfords this evening, the guy said he will have a new screen top antenna on Monday so I will hopefully have this sorted this then. as for the radio its a dab head unit but I've no dab coverage in my area. so just using the fm.
you can just swap the yellow and red power leads over i.e. red to yellow and yellow to red and it always supplies power to stereo.

Have you fitted the loom to feed stereo control stalk?

2005 Berlingo is turning in to the best car I've ever had