Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying guide
Hi all, 

I'm new and would like to get a Berlingo (or even Partner) to use for a business idea. I don't have much experience with anything other than Honda's. 

I've got a budget of £1000 to £2000, do you think this will get an ok Berlingo? I'm after an early 2000's version. What should I be checking on them?
I see a lot with advisories for leaking power steering racks and I know the rear axles can be an issue. Anything else to look for?

Engine wise I don't really mind if I have a diesel or petrol, I hear many horror stories about the 1.6 HDI though. 

A car I'm going to look at this weekend is this one on eBay, 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berli...1438.l2649

Thanks for any advice

Alex
The 1.9 is a good engine with no issues, it is fairly slow but will slog along really well with a load. Overtaking needs some advance planning. ( Good vehicle I've had the van version ).

Just try and get some service history to see if it has been loved, not essential but nice to have.

Berlingo don't rust in any normal sense so unless bumped and scraped they keep looking good so best to buy on internal condition as your guide.

A 1.9 has a heavy clutch so after a Honda it will provide exercise but they all do that so not such an issue.

Your Ebay linked one looks ok at first glance, the MOT history seems ok with routine type work needing doing for that - look online with DVLA to see it.

Axles - look at rear wheels and do they look as if they are leaning inwards towards each other at their tops, some small lean in is normal. Look underneath to see if the tyres are close to rubbing on their inside faces, uneven wear on rear tyre edges is a good indicator of axle wear beat don't discount rotating of front tyres to rear as this may confuse the matter.

Essentially a Berlingo is good and reliable, the 1.9 is old technology but simple and v reliable, the early 1.6 diesel needs V V good oil service history for peace of mind, petrols I've not owned but I believe they are ok.

Think you will notice a difference in engineering and build quality after owning a Honda, I certaily did !

This should give you a start I'm sure others will chime in.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
2.0Hdi in Rotherham so not too far away and in your price range.
So where does this bit go then ?