Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Brakes] ABS problem and brake judder
Hi all,

I have a problem on a 2005 2.0 HDi Berlingo, Here in Southern Denmark it is so rural that I can hardly communicate with the local mechanics. So if you don't mind, here is a description of the problem...

When braking I often get a sudden judder which feels like the pulsating of the ABS system. It doesn't happen often when braking at speed, but at low speeds (town driving) it happens very often. As I come to a stop, I get a judder, followed by what sounds like a small electric motor running for about 1.5 seconds every time there is a judder. The judder feels like the ABS engaging, but I hear a sound that is more like what I imagine a broken or cracked brake pad might sound like. I also periodically get an ABS warning light that comes on, usually while highway driving.

I suspect an ABS sensor fault or similar, but I wonder if a caliper bolt might have worked loose, causing a caliper to rotate on one of the bolts   Sad

I can only get the car up on a lift tomorrow, so I haven't had a look yet, so maybe the problem will be self-evident when a take a look, but perhaps you have an idea? I only have one car, and the spares shop is 20km away, so I have to be really careful to make sure I don't do anything to incapacitate the car if I don't have the right spares.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Marc
Hi,

Are you sure that it has Abs?

Check witj your vin number the braking system on Peugeot service box and you can follow the system and make a pre—identification of parts.

I had the same van before and no abs system.
(23-03-2018, 12:18 PM)SergioFR Wrote:  Hi,

Check witj your vin number the braking systemn on Peugeot service box and you can follow the system and make a pre—identification of parts.

I have the same van with ABS.Take the front wheels off and just inspect the pad, disk and ABS ring. Clean it all and put it all back together. my mate had a similar issue where had a small stone wedged inbetween the pad and disk which caused the similar fault. It could be something very simple. Strip and clean first cheapest option and a trolley jack will do the trick.

Check witj your vin number the braking system on Peugeot service box and you can follow the system and make a pre—identification of parts.

Hi Sergio,

It certainly feels like ABS kicking in...

I have tried doing a check on the VIN number, but I get strange results. Is there an official Citroen VIN number checking website?

Regards,
Marc
(23-03-2018, 01:43 PM)Silverberlingo Wrote:  

Check witj your vin number the braking systemn on Peugeot service box and you can follow the system and make a pre—identification of parts.

I have the same van with ABS.Take the front wheels off and just inspect the pad, disk and ABS ring. Clean it all and put it all back together. my mate had a similar issue where had a small stone wedged inbetween the pad and disk which caused the similar fault. It could be something very simple. Strip and clean first cheapest option and a trolley jack will do the trick.
Just look in the engine bay for the ABS pump, follow the brake pipes from the master cylinder.

Your symptoms sound like a damaged or corroded reluctor ring. (ABS ring) 

If your drive shafts have the cast iron castellated reluctor rings these can crack due to a build up of corrosion under them, there are videos on youtube showing how to replace them if that's your problem.

For future reference you can look up your vehicle details here...

https://www.catcar.info/citroen/?lang=en&l=
My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Hi jj9,

Thank you for that info... I will have a good look tomorrow.

I had a look at the link you sent, but I get a message saying "not found" for my VIN number... very odd. Does a number like VF7GJRHYK93283599 make sense?

I think you may very well be correct about the ABS ring being damaged in some way. The car acts otherwise normally. I had a look at a local Citroen spares outlet and the ABS rings don't appear to be overly expensive her which is a relief. While I'm at it, I'll put the dial indicator onto the disks and see if they're warped... should replace the wheel bearings while I'm about it... so much to do on any old car Wink

Regards,
Marc
I had a similar problem when I bought my last van and it turned out to be worn discs and pads to the extent that one disc was applying considerably more braking effort than the other - the wheels sensors picked up on this and activated ABS to compensate. New discs and pads sorted mine out, worth a look in case it is something simple.
Similarly worth checking the rear brakes for equal braking effort though I would say that the front brakes would most likely be the issue if wear is present.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
The VIN you have posted is recognised on Service Citroen so I don't know why it doesn't work on the Catcar site.  Huh

It's not always easy to examine the ABS ring without removing the driveshaft from the hub.

If replacing an ABS ring make sure the replacement has the same number of teeth.

As geoff says check the obvious first.

Let us know how you get on.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
It's 7 degrees today... positively balmy Wink so a good day to get stuck into it.