Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 1.6 HDi - sump removal
Hi all - I seem to have a weeping sump gasket/joint on a 2007 1.6 HDi (got an advisory in the MoT) that is needing a fix. I have retorqued the sump bolts/studs which has helped a bit but I'm just putting off the inevitable....

two questions - (1) is it possible to drop the sump without disconnecting the exhaust? (It looks as though it is possible but if anybody could confirm it would make the time span for the job much shorter)
                       (2) is there a gasket on there or is it just standard gunge from a tube? Some sites are offering me a gasket and others are not

Many thanks

Graeme
Our cars  2008 1.6  HDi 92 Berlingo (His) RIP 2019
              2008 1.6  HDi 110 Mini (Hers)
              2008 1.6  HDi 143 Mini (His)  

Yes im sure it can be done with exhaust header in situ but not 100% sure.

There is no gasket as standard as i am aware of but it never hurts to use one with a smear of silicon sealant on for good measure, are you sure its the sump leaking and not coming from above?
(24-03-2018, 05:33 PM)polar Wrote:  Yes im sure it can be done with exhaust header in situ but not 100% sure.

There is no gasket as standard as i am aware of but it never hurts to use one with a smear of silicon sealant on for good measure, are you sure its the sump leaking and not coming from above?

Hi - pretty sure it's (at least) the sump - had the car a year and it arrived with oil smear over most the bottom half of the engine. Some was due to a leak from the manifold bypass to the inlet pipework (not sure of the correct name) and once that was remedied things were a lot better until most recently. No leaks from inlet manifold/around the injectors etc etc - top of the engine is actually pleasantly dry.

There's no trace of fresh oil above the sump/block joint so I'm working on the basis that it is the culprit for the moment - looks to be an easy ( if messy ) job so worth doing just to rule it out should we still get drips.

Has your car got the black plastic undertray?  if it has you may want to consider the sump drain plug mod while you have the sump off.

Have a read through the thread below, look at my post (#29) to see the difference.

The undertray protects the sump plug once it is pulled out of the recess.

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-15569.html

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(24-03-2018, 06:19 PM)jj9 Wrote:  Has your car got the black plastic undertray?  if it has you may want to consider the sump drain plug mod while you have the sump off.

Have a read through the thread below, look at my post (#29) to see the difference.

The undertray protects the sump plug once it is pulled out of the recess.

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-15569.html

Hi - that's an interesting idea (just done an oil change but may try it next time around) - previous cars I've used a dipstick sucking doo dah very like this one but not on this as I've read all the horror stories about not getting all the rubbish out - now it seems you're going to leave the heaviest crap in there in any case - weird design.

No plastic shroud under there - the car now has 144,455 miles so that's not a surprise. I don't think lacking the shroud would be a problem - I've previously used these and never snagged one so a fairly flush bolt should be OK . (sump on this car is already pushed in a bit - looks like it's either been jacked on it or had the engine held up whilst doing the cambelt or similar - so we keep the oil right up to the full mark)

So far in 10 months ownership we've done a snitch under 10,000 miles - it has used no oil, needed two bulbs, did the cambelt, replaced the front springs after one bust and it has just passed the MoT - I am really impressed with the Berlingo. Cracking wee car.

If you're sucking the oil out the sump mod is a waste of time.

Many will say that sucking the oil out isn't a good practice, in fact Citroen advise against it in a technical bulletin to their dealers, however if done correctly I can't see how you wouldn't remove more of the old oil than via the sump plug with their silly designed upward recessed drain plug.

I would recommend fitting an under tray if you can get your hands on one,  they save a lot of the road muck contacting the engine.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Hi - belated follow up on this one....

(1) No sump gasket on this car - dropped the old sump and there was nothing there, resealed with mastic and torqued up all the bolts.

(2) Still leaks.

(3) Cleaned the whole lot off and waited - turns out the leak was from the throttle body - the oil was sneaking from there, down the back of the alternator and then dripping off the right hand edge of the sump.

(4) Tried sealing the body - nada - so substituted a used one from Ebay and now we have no oil drips

Mind you getting no oil drops also required a new steering rack and a left hand driveshaft seal but even numpty here can tell the difference from ATF, engine oil and that lovely, smelly gearbox stuff (takes me back to owning a Land Rover)

(19-06-2018, 06:42 PM)GraemeT Wrote:  Hi - belated follow up on this one....

(1) No sump gasket on this car - dropped the old sump and there was nothing there, resealed with mastic and torqued up all the bolts.

(2) Still leaks.

(3) Cleaned the whole lot off and waited - turns out the leak was from the throttle body - the oil was sneaking from there, down the back of the alternator and then dripping off the right hand edge of the sump.

(4) Tried sealing the body - nada - so substituted a used one from Ebay and now we have no oil drips

Mind you getting no oil drops also required a new steering rack and a left hand driveshaft seal but even numpty here can tell the difference from ATF, engine oil and that lovely, smelly gearbox stuff (takes me back to owning a Land Rover)

Glad you sorted it 
Thanks - this is a really useful wee car and is streets better than a Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi that we had previously