Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Starting Issue
Hi. I have a 2009 Berlingo (New Shape) which decided to just not start one day recently. So after checking that the power was coming to the moter I decided it was the starter and swaped it out for another. Pain in the arse job I might add. Only to discover it was exactly the same.

So after some head scratching I figured it must be the starter relay and I figured that this should only be powered when the key is turned to the starting position only to discover there is about 8 or 9 volts in this circuit all the time.

Was wondering if anybody had any ideas here?? Kinda stuck as to what to do next??

Plus, what's the handiest way to check the starter moter and relay when taken off the van??

Thanks...
Without proper diagnosis, a car is just a tin box in which you pour money. You've already proved the truth of that statement.

Others know this engine better than me, so someone else may know of a particular weakness, but speaking generally, if nothing happens when you turn the key the first suspects are the battery condition, the battery terminals, the engine/chassis earth strap, starter motor wiring.

Put the lights on full. Do they go dim when you turn the key? If so, the battery condition is suspect. If not, go to the next step.

Worth following these basic steps before throwing more money at it. I know that's maybe not much help, but it is a step by step way forward.

Gravity
Turns out it was the 25 amp starter relay fuse under the bonnet after two days work...