Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot partner 2.0 hdi 90, will a 406 2.0 hdi 110 engine box fit
Hi all I've got a 55 plate partner 2.0 hdi 90 multi space or combi but its got problems the latest is gearbox felt like it was going to jam up knocking noise pulling away like diff collapsing drive shafts locking up, loud banging noises not good, its got other problems not connected, loosing water, limp mode on low on power, abs light on, limp mode I did 3 point turn up a grass Bank, then low on power, then it would be OK then not etc etc now engine management light always on and 1/3 of power, so slow up hills and a pain to drive, water light on top up water once s week, can't see were its going no cream in oil, no white smoke, one of the pulleys is noisy not sure what one, ABS light is on,   with the latest gearbox noise problem, ive just bought a 406 110hdi estate to use now, I was also wondering would the 110 engine and box go in my berlingo, (partner) because its got a disabled ramp and I use to wheel my welder in the back and its got a lowered floor etc so its handy to have, the 406 estate not as usefull, so berlingo guys have any of you done this, I need to know it all, no guessing please!!!, shafts mounts wiring the lot, I'm a panel beater welder for 30 years, so can understand most if it's In English!! Thanks Adam
(19-06-2018, 12:51 AM)wuppertdupont Wrote:  Hi all I've got a 55 plate partner 2.0 hdi 90 multi space or combi but its got problems the latest is gearbox felt like it was going to jam up knocking noise pulling away like diff collapsing drive shafts locking up, loud banging noises not good, its got other problems not connected, loosing water, limp mode on low on power, abs light on, limp mode I did 3 point turn up a grass Bank, then low on power, then it would be OK then not etc etc now engine management light always on and 1/3 of power, so slow up hills and a pain to drive, water light on top up water once s week, can't see were its going no cream in oil, no white smoke, one of the pulleys is noisy not sure what one, ABS light is on,   with the latest gearbox noise problem, ive just bought a 406 110hdi estate to use now, I was also wondering would the 110 engine and box go in my berlingo, (partner) because its got a disabled ramp and I use to wheel my welder in the back and its got a lowered floor etc so its handy to have, the 406 estate not as usefull, so berlingo guys have any of you done this, I need to know it all, no guessing please!!!, shafts mounts wiring the lot, I'm a panel beater welder for 30 years, so can understand most if it's In English!! Thanks Adam

It would be an exciting project but may have challenges. Many challenges. 

First, there seems to be quite a lot of fittings behind the 406 head and block (haven't really observed keenly), which I don't know if they could fit in a Partner/Blingo engine bay. Yoy probably need to ascertain this. 

The next question is which harnesses would you use? and how compatible would they be? I would think there could be challenges turning the entire electrical system to be for the 406 knowing that the two cars differ. Probably you would have to try as much as possible to retain the Partner/Blingo's Electronics and try to marry the two - an unlocked ECU may assist in this regard.

I think the 110's mostly came with Bosch fuel systems, so your Partner/Blingo would have to have a Bosch fuel system rather than the more common Siemens. Then you would have to study whether the blocks are compatible and if they are then you would need to borrow the brackets from the partner to fit it in. 

Also the 406 gearbox might be a challenge to fit as its an ML5, while yours is BE4 so it would help if the 110 Block can fit the BE4 so that you don't have to worry about the final drive and driveshafts. 

Then the 110 comes with an intercooler so you may need to borrow the plumbing from a 1.6hdi. 

Overally I think you would have to keenly study both systems before embarking on the venture. I think the 110hdi system from a 307 would perhaps be much more compatible to the Partner/Berlingo than the one from a 406, though I admit not to know for sure. 

All the best.
Thanks for your thoughts civvic man, think there could be many problems, only one problem that can't be fixed and it will never run again, I will look at 307s see what there like, I'm surprised that some one on here hasn't fitted A406 110 in a berlingo, the 406 goes well, so thought in a berlingo would go very well, and guess its same block, did look under bonnet of both cars alongside each other, drive shafts could well be different
Will the 406 engine fit on the Berlingo gearbox? After that it's the ECU & then probably the BSI? Fitting the Berlingo ECU & injectors will probably mean you end up with a 90BHP 2.0
Engine blocks are identical on all the 2.0hdi’s, run the 406 rad and inter cooler pack with 406 fans, the 1.6 hdi won’t offer the correct cooking for the 406 110, I fitted a 406 210bhp V6 into a partner so I’m sure the 406 engine and box will fit, and I used the 406 radiator also, just had to shorten the two radiator pipes to suit, similar with the inter cooler pipe work also

Engine mounts were all pretty much custom bar the lower rear as there’s two locations on the subframe and one of these fitted well

You’d need to get the shafts shortened to suit the wheel base of the berlingo, or some form of hybrid between 406 and berlingo

Ecu would need unlocking or a new bsi and it coding in, you may also struggle with the speedo, depending how it works, every thing else comes down canbus to the clocks but for some reason the Speedo runs into the engine ecu and then via magic to clocks, I can’t remember the specifics, but I ended up with a tiny spa design rally digital speedo that I then calibrated to the wheel size and fitted in the top of the factory clocks

I also had to fit the hydraulic pedal box from a later 1.6hdi and merge the pipe work, plus the tunnel needed to be cut to take a cable change gear shifter and the plastic box it comes in, I got it bang on under the gear leaver gaiter and used the vans centre console proper so from the inside it looked bondifferent bar a lift up reverse gear knob

Exhaust would need custom knocking up, I used a custom stainless exhaust place to sort it

I think that’s it
406 bsi won’t run a berlingo so that’s a no
Wow, looks like a major exercise. Maybe easier get hold of a recon gearbox and put the 406 engine in with a remapped ecu? I'm guessing that it's a Bosch ECU as it's a Partner? If so, I think the remap options may be more flexible than the Siemens on the Berlingo.
Taking the remap route may also help with insurance costs.
THANK YOU, too all that have spent the time explaining in detail the problems, I'm likely to encounter, I need to get them up on a ramp and have a look underneath, last thing I need it Two broken Peugeots, think I need the Chinese kid of the estate that dell boy used to rewire his digy box
Another thought what makes the 406 110 bhp, could I take those parts of a fit to partner 90 engine
(26-06-2018, 08:17 AM)dumdum Wrote:  Engine blocks are identical on all the 2.0hdi’s, run the 406 rad and inter cooler pack with 406 fans, the 1.6 hdi won’t offer the correct cooking for the 406 110, I fitted a 406 210bhp V6 into a partner so I’m sure the 406 engine and box will fit, and I used the 406 radiator also, just had to shorten the two radiator pipes to suit, similar with the inter cooler pipe work also

Engine mounts were all pretty much custom bar the lower rear as there’s two locations on the subframe and one of these fitted well

You’d need to get the shafts shortened to suit the wheel base of the berlingo, or some form of hybrid between 406 and berlingo

Ecu would need unlocking or a new bsi and it coding in, you may also struggle with the speedo, depending how it works, every thing else comes down canbus to the clocks but for some reason the Speedo runs into the engine ecu and then via magic to clocks, I can’t remember the specifics, but I ended up with a tiny spa design rally digital speedo that I then calibrated to the wheel size and fitted in the top of the factory clocks

I also had to fit the hydraulic pedal box from a later 1.6hdi and merge the pipe work, plus the tunnel needed to be cut to take a cable change gear shifter and the plastic box it comes in, I got it bang on under the gear leaver gaiter and used the vans centre console proper so from the inside it looked bondifferent bar a lift up reverse gear knob

Exhaust would need custom knocking up, I used a custom stainless exhaust place to sort it

I think that’s it

I did some research and found out that the 307 2.0 hdi 110 comes with the BE4R gearbox - same as the Partner, so being the same engine, would fit. Best is to get the 307's box so as to benefit from better ratios. On the flip side the BE4R has a design max of 250Nm - so remapping the hdi 110 would stretch it out of its range.