Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] power comes and goes
1.6hdi
power comes and goes, it will drive fine for a while with enough to give then it just seems really flat and sluggish

no smoke that I can notice

when it goes flat it does seem to use a lot of fuel, I think the engine note changes too

I have plugged it into my basic code reader, theres no codes showing.

also every now and then the speedo stops working, the power seems to go flat when that happens, sometimes a whack of the instrument panel brings it back, sometimes not and I have to switch off, then switch back on and it clears.

any help would be really appreciated

thanks
speedo error causing it to run in limp mode maybe ? in the same way that some ecu,s go into limp mode when you brake and accelerate at the same time
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to frank for this post:
  • rapidyellow
Maybe worth checking the connections to the BSI, check there's no damp and try the infamous 'BSI Reset'? There are quite a few posts on the subject on here about how to remove the BSI, what to check for etc.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • rapidyellow
last night I did some reading up on potential problems

I read about seeing how it would run with the MAF disconn'd, to see if it was that.

I had to go to Buxton this morning from cheshire, so I disconn'd it before I set off, overall it was running better and it wasnt switching between noisy and poor power, to quiet and good power, perhaps somewhere in between but the trip there and back the engine was consistently good and it didnt appear to drink as much fuel as the same trip yesterday. [I only plod along anyway]

The speedo might be a seperate issue, I didnt notice if the milometer was still clicking on, I will look out for that the next time the speedo goes off.

Now got an EML on, I cant remember the codes but there were two, one for intermittent signal from MAF, the other was inlet air temp high.

Does that help the diagnosis?
I have just spoken to a friend who repairs citroens, what I am running isnt his fav engine they did but he thinks that my MAF might initially need a clean, that has worked for him in the past with a similar issue[s], so sometime this week I will get the MAF out and give it a clean.

He thinks that I should next change the fuel filter, he will do that for me if I take one to him.

In the meantime, keep those suggestions coming in.

thanks
my intake airtemp sensor was caked in oil, so i gave it a good blast with carb cleaner, and it seems to have cured an annoying over-revving when changing gear after about a half hour of driving
Seems that cars often go better with the MAF disconnected when the MAF is faulty. Can you recall the fault code you got with the MAF disconnected? The 'intermittent signal' (P0104) is what I have, maybe that's what a duff MAF on these engines throws up as a fault.
Yeah, the speedo could well be a different issue.
(27-08-2018, 05:38 PM)cancunia Wrote:  Seems that cars often go better with the MAF disconnected when the MAF is faulty. Can you recall the fault code you got with the MAF disconnected? The 'intermittent signal' (P0104) is what I have, maybe that's what a duff MAF on these engines throws up as a fault.

yeah I think it was a P0104
(27-08-2018, 05:19 PM)frank Wrote:  my intake airtemp sensor was caked in oil, so i gave it a good blast with carb cleaner, and it seems to have cured an annoying over-revving when changing gear after about a half hour of driving

I took my pipe of recently to change the air filter, I dont recall and oil coming out of the pipe and I replaced the O Ring where the air pipe goes into the top of the engine [breather?] it was a bit oily but nothing dripped out, perhaps this oil has indeed got to the MAF

It was last week when I changed the filter, but I have only in the last couple of days noticed the running problems

Its not my van its my bosses, but its me running it about, and also looking after it [its not had any attention for a long time]
the maf is upstream of the crankcase vent and turbo, so should only see fresh air
the air temp sensor and map are further down tho, and mine were pretty gummed up.
my turbo inlet was always wet/black too, but my crankcase vent now is diverted to a catchcan