Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Condensation issue
So a question to the more experienced campers, how are you guys dealing with condensation? Have you found a good enough solution to help reduce it or lesson it's impact?

Am I right in thinking it's more winter issue too.

Cheers.
Yep - it is more of a winter issue, because colder air absorbs less moisture than warmer air.
But that's not the whole story.

Humans (and animals) sleeping in a camper will give off moisture (sweat for men - perspiration for women!), and this has to go somewhere. It is usually evident in the mornings on hard, cold materials, particularly the glass as this is in direct contact with colder outside air. But it is also absorbed by any soft materials within the camper - such as seats, roof lining, clothing, and any other hygroscopic materials. It's made worse if you have a frig or electric coolbox, because these cool the air inside and give off water vapour.

Condensation can't be avoided, but it can be minimised by ventilation, and disguised by heat. If the camper is heated during the night, less condensation will be visible next morning, because the warmer inside air will be holding it in suspension. It's still there but it can't be seen so readily.

With good ventilation it can be reduced. My B9 camper has both front door windows cracked open at night (protected from rain by tinted window shields), and the tailgate is locked a couple of inches open along its bottom edge. Experimenting, I have found that air enters at the top of the front window gaps, travels along the roof lining and exits down the tailgate. I'm not disturbed by this air movement as it occurs above my body while I'm asleep, but it sure helps with any condensation.

See pics:
[Image: Blind_3.jpg]

[Image: Tailgate_1.jpg]
Gravity
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gravity for this post:
  • Art b
Cheers Gravity,
What is the coldest you've slept in you camper. I like your trick with the rear door, does that not let rain in.
(15-09-2018, 02:55 PM)Gravity Wrote:  Yep - it is more of a winter issue, because colder air absorbs less moisture than warmer air.
But that's not the whole story.

Humans (and animals) sleeping in a camper will give off moisture (sweat for men - perspiration for women!), and this has to go somewhere. It is usually evident in the mornings on hard, cold materials, particularly the glass as this is in direct contact with colder outside air. But it is also absorbed by any soft materials within the camper - such as seats, roof lining, clothing, and any other hygroscopic materials. It's made worse if you have a frig or electric coolbox, because these cool the air inside and give off water vapour.

Condensation can't be avoided, but it can be minimised by ventilation, and disguised by heat. If the camper is heated during the night, less condensation will be visible next morning, because the warmer inside air will be holding it in suspension. It's still there but it can't be seen so readily.

With good ventilation it can be reduced. My B9 camper has both front door windows cracked open at night (protected from rain by tinted window shields), and the tailgate is locked a couple of inches open along its bottom edge. Experimenting, I have found that air enters at the top of the front window gaps, travels along the roof lining and exits down the tailgate. I'm not disturbed by this air movement as it occurs above my body while I'm asleep, but it sure helps with any condensation.

See pics:
[Image: Blind_3.jpg]

[Image: Tailgate_1.jpg]

A. Great explanation... Cool
I didnt know the tailgate could be locked in a open postion !
(17-09-2018, 05:20 PM)old_skool Wrote:  I didnt know the tailgate could be locked in a open postion !

Ahh ... I've made an adaptor, which just slides into the normal latch and the tailgate simply closes onto it. Lockable.
Details on my camper thread. Works well.
Gravity