Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Filters & Oil] Correct engine oil?
Hi all,

The base vehicle of my small campervan is the Berlingo First 750 van with the 1.6 HDI 75hp Euro 4  turbo diesel engine.  It was first registered in 2011.

The recommended lubricants page in Citroen’s maintenance book (the one that’s stamped when you have the service) states that HDI FAP 1.6 engines should use the B71 2290 rated oil e.g. Total Quartz INEO 5w/30.  It also states that other diesel engines can use a wider choice of oils including the Total Quartz 7000 10w/40.

Total Quartz INEO has always been used at the annual service but following the retirement and closure of the firm that serviced my vehicle in the past, I had it serviced a few months ago by a highly recommended Citroen garage and they have used Total Quartz 7000.
Before I go back to them querying the oil used, can anyone please enlighten me if my engine has the FAP or not?  I gather FAP is French for a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and I have always just  assumed the engine has one but now am wondering if it hasn’t.

Thanks, Terry. 
You dont have a particle filter, just a catalytic converter, and also as an added bonus you won’t have a dual mass flywheel also

I would also add though that I’d always use low ash 5w/30 oil in any 1.6 hdi regardless of model, far nicer for the turbo imo
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to dumdum for this post:
  • ron, Terry ww
As Dumdum says ^^^
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Terry ww
Thanks dumdum and polar for the info.  I will insist in the future that low ash INEO  is used for the benefit of the turbo and think I'll do  an oil and filter change shortly with INEO and not wait for the annual service which isn't due again until next August.
Terry.
Dexos 2 from Vauxhall is cheap enough and meets all the pug specs! It’s all we used in pugs/citroens and can be found for the right money on eBay
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dumdum for this post:
  • Terry ww
My 2017 blue hdi has done 148k using Dexos 2 with no ill effects apart from a forced dpf Regen at 125k.
There are (quite) a few threads on correct oil for the 1.6 engine, not surprising really as it's a hot topic.
Generally, a low ash oil xW/30 is preferred, but on higher mileage engines you might want to consider 5W/40 in hotter weather. I have 0W/30 in mine at the moment but will shift to 5W/40 on the next change. Just as important as the type of oil is the change interval, opinion varies, but 6000 miles might be a good rule of thumb.

As far as the FAP / DPF is concerned, you can be certain if it's supposed to have one by checking the VIN. There are some threads on that subject too.
I change mine every 16500m without fail. So far so good but my previous vans did 136k and 236k with the same intervals and oil (Dexos2)
Both were going strong when I sold them.
(02-03-2019, 10:53 AM)chrisl Wrote:  I change mine every 16500m  without fail. So far so good but my previous vans did 136k and 236k with the same intervals and oil (Dexos2)
Both were going strong when I sold them.

16500 miles is a lot between oil changes IMHO but maybe your right.