Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Filters & Oil] Correct engine oil?
Hi all,

The base vehicle of my small campervan is the Berlingo First 750 van with the 1.6 HDI 75hp Euro 4  turbo diesel engine.  It was first registered in 2011.

The recommended lubricants page in Citroen’s maintenance book (the one that’s stamped when you have the service) states that HDI FAP 1.6 engines should use the B71 2290 rated oil e.g. Total Quartz INEO 5w/30.  It also states that other diesel engines can use a wider choice of oils including the Total Quartz 7000 10w/40.

Total Quartz INEO has always been used at the annual service but following the retirement and closure of the firm that serviced my vehicle in the past, I had it serviced a few months ago by a highly recommended Citroen garage and they have used Total Quartz 7000.
Before I go back to them querying the oil used, can anyone please enlighten me if my engine has the FAP or not?  I gather FAP is French for a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and I have always just  assumed the engine has one but now am wondering if it hasn’t.

Thanks, Terry. 
You dont have a particle filter, just a catalytic converter, and also as an added bonus you won’t have a dual mass flywheel also

I would also add though that I’d always use low ash 5w/30 oil in any 1.6 hdi regardless of model, far nicer for the turbo imo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dumdum for this post:
  • Terry ww
As Dumdum says ^^^
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Terry ww
Thanks dumdum and polar for the info.  I will insist in the future that low ash INEO  is used for the benefit of the turbo and think I'll do  an oil and filter change shortly with INEO and not wait for the annual service which isn't due again until next August.
Terry.
Dexos 2 from Vauxhall is cheap enough and meets all the pug specs! It’s all we used in pugs/citroens and can be found for the right money on eBay
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dumdum for this post:
  • Terry ww