Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
1.9D Idle speed. What's yours ?
Hi all.

My Berlingo idles at about 1200 RPM. It feels a little high but I don't know what it's meant to be. It doesn't flutter and remains constant so it's not a problem.

Maybe a bit of an airleak or a faulty sensor ??

Cheers, Ted
I reckon your cold idle speed thermo control is probably shot. Does engine idle speed stay constant regardless of temperature? The idle control operates via the cooling system and when the water temperature increases the idle control valve reduces the idle speed. Mine cost £22.11 plus vat. Part no. 164762 (Mk 2 1.9d)
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to divingscubaboy for this post:
  • chronyx
(27-11-2011, 09:06 PM)divingscubaboy Wrote:  I reckon your cold idle speed thermo control is probably shot. Does engine idle speed stay constant regardless of temperature? The idle control operates via the cooling system and when the water temperature increases the idle control valve reduces the idle speed. Mine cost £22.11 plus vat. Part no. 164762 (Mk 2 1.9d)

Yeah... It's always at that speed. No matter if it's cold and warm.
I reckon its probably the idle control then or the adjustments out cos its knackered and somones been tweaking before you!
1.9d Mk2 (M59/BE4/5) with battle scars from a conservatory attack. Previously owned a 1.4i Mk2 Forte.Confusedalut:
Hi! I'm having a similar problem with a high-ish idle speed. It's about 1200RPM when cold but decreases to about 850RPM when warm. The engine is a 1.9D in a 51 plate Multispace. I'm told by other people the throttle is also a bit stiff, but I haven't noticed it.

Can anyone tell me what the idle speeds should be?

Thanks,

Andy.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy1702 for this post:
  • pk7478
(29-11-2011, 11:11 AM)andy1702 Wrote:  Hi! I'm having a similar problem with a high-ish idle speed. It's about 1200RPM when cold but decreases to about 850RPM when warm. The engine is a 1.9D in a 51 plate Multispace. I'm told by other people the throttle is also a bit stiff, but I haven't noticed it.

Can anyone tell me what the idle speeds should be?

Thanks,

Andy.

850-920 RPM idle speed.

There's no throttle in Diesel engines.

How do I adjust the idle ?????

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I'm a bike mechanic really and Diesels are a new thing to me...
(29-11-2011, 04:48 PM)tedmagnum Wrote:  How do I adjust the idle ?????
There's no way to adjust.

@ PK & Tedmagnum. The idle speed is adjusted by the idle control valve in the cooling system which acts via a thermo element which operates a cable which operates the idle control on the fuel injection pump. In your case Ted if the idle control valve is kaput your idle will remain constant. The idle speed should only be at the higher end of its range when cold as the coolant warms the idle speed will reduce. Ted if you reduce your idle speed it will be lumpy when cold and tends to make pulling away a bit jerky when cold. The only cure is to replace the idle control valve. That is of course if your engine is the same as mine.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to divingscubaboy for this post:
  • tedmagnum
(29-11-2011, 06:51 PM)divingscubaboy Wrote:  @ PK & Tedmagnum. The idle speed is adjusted by the idle control valve in the cooling system which acts via a thermo element which operates a cable which operates the idle control on the fuel injection pump. In your case Ted if the idle control valve is kaput your idle will remain constant. The idle speed should only be at the higher end of its range when cold as the coolant warms the idle speed will reduce. Ted if you reduce your idle speed it will be lumpy when cold and tends to make pulling away a bit jerky when cold. The only cure is to replace the idle control valve. That is of course if your engine is the same as mine.

Cheers mate. You really know your stuff. I will check out the valve.