Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox?????
Hi all,
2.0HDi Multispace on 52 plate, 170k miles.
Driving Bingo this morning noticed whining noise from under bonnet. Seemed worse when clutch depressed. Stopped in some traffic, smelt burning, like rubber. Then whining sounded like belt slipping. Aux belt has been noisey. Anyway got car home, counldn't trace burning to Aux belt. Clutch has been hard to engage smoothly for ages. Now seems very juddery when engaging.
It had a driveshaft gaiter replaced last Jan (by garage). I meant to check gearbox oil level, but never got round to it.
If it is just clutch, I think we will have it done. However if it is the gearbox I think that will be more than the car's worth.
Any tips for how to confirm clutch/gearbox?
The burning smell and smoke happened when stationary with clutch out (pedal up) and in neutral.
It's perhaps the thrust bearing on the clutch making the noise. The burning could have been the clutch dragging Do you get any crunching noises when changing gear, or whine in any particular gear when driving along?
Gearbox oil level is easy enough to check, it's a combined filler / level plug. Oils is not too expensive from GSF when they have their usual weekend discount.
1 Check the gear oil
2 check or replace the thrust bearing
Thanks for the replies guys. I gave duff info above, no smell/smoke when clutch pedal up. But noise and smell when pedal depressed. I have been reading previous clutch related posts and came to the conclusion it was the thrust bearing. 
Rang one garage and was quoted £450 incl VAT. Is this about right for 2.0HDi clutch change?
    Had clutch changed today. Bearing had failed as suspected. Was told by garage friction lining close to rivets. But it had done 170k miles. Pedal now much lighter to operate. Had fork changed also, as it had worn due to bearing/cone problem.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Modmytop for this post:
  • polar
Err how do I show thread fixed? I can't remember!!
(01-11-2018, 08:44 PM)Modmytop Wrote:  Had clutch changed today. Bearing had failed as suspected. Was told by garage friction lining close to rivets. But it had done 170k miles. Pedal now much lighter to operate. Had fork changed also, as it had worn due to bearing/cone problem.

Yep, that's a worn out part alright.