Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 1.6Hi cutting out
I have a 2008 1.6Hdi Berlingo van which I purchased to ferry my dog around when our workshop pensioned it off. Generally ran pretty well, apart from being down on power, but it has recently started cutting out randomly whilst driving. It makes a warning noise, then cuts out & you just have to hope that you can coast to a safe spot, not safe at all. It will re-start immeadiately, but stall if I try to let the clutch out, but leave it a while and it runs as normal until the next time it cuts out. I have had the fault codes read & the electrician suggested that the EGR valve was faulty. However it returns 50mpg, doesn't smoke, and he couldn't explain why the EGR valve would cause it to cut out instead of going into limp mode so I'm reluctant to pay for a new one at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Huh
doubt if its the egr personally, either overboosting or fuel filter maybe ?
mine cut out suddenly while exiting a roundabout recently, then started up again, it showed a low fuelrail code which can happen if the fuel filter is blocked apparently, clean filter and it has,nt happened since..... yet Smile
When you get the warning beep, do any dash lights come on, for example STOP or the engine management light?

From you description, it may be a faulty sensor, possibly the fuel pressure sensor.

Have a read of this and see if it sounds familiar..

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-17105.html

As frank says , maybe the fuel filter if it's not been changed for a while. I somehow doubt the EGR would cause the problems you're having.

A code reader from ebay would help
Thank you both for your replies, I should have mentioned that when it happened the first time the engine management light came on and stayed on. When I had the code read the electrician cancelled it and the light went out, but came on again the next time it happened. I definitely need to invest in a code reader, as the thread about the fuel rail sensor sounds similar, any pointers as to which one would be appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to prtc967@aol.com for this post:
  • frank
mine is a cheapo topdon td309 codereader, and yes the light came on and 1 beep, then 1 mile later the engine died and left a little trail of soot on the road as it died
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to frank for this post:
  • prtc967@aol.com
what puzzles me is you say its down on power as the 1.6hdi's go very well empty so a decent diagnostic is a good idea before you start changing things - change the fuel filter then get it diaged.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • prtc967@aol.com
(11-11-2018, 06:28 PM)polar Wrote:  what puzzles me is you say its down on power as the 1.6hdi's go very well empty so a decent diagnostic is a good idea before you start changing things - change the fuel filter then get it diaged.
Over the years I occasionally used to borrow it from work and was always amazed by how well it went, these days it will still cruise at 70mph on a whiff of throttle, but doesn't respond if you press the pedal and just dies if it sees a hill. That said it has 166,000 on the clock so I have just assumed time has taken its toll, although it did have a new turbo 10,000 miles ago. My dog isn't much into speed so the loss of power hasn't really been an issue. Once again thank you both for the replies, this morning before joining the forum I was a bit disheartened by the problem, but have now ordered a service kit and will then get the electrician to do another diagnostic.
Your own code reader would be a good investment for less than a fiver. If you use the Torque app along with a reader you can also get live measurements & traces, for example I think you could trace the the fuel rail pressure & boost.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • prtc967@aol.com
(11-11-2018, 07:48 PM)cancunia Wrote:  Your own code reader would be a good investment for less than a fiver. If you use the Torque app along with a reader you can also get live measurements & traces, for example I think you could trace the the fuel rail pressure & boost.

This week I purchased a TD 309 code reader and after clearing the codes and taking a test drive it has shown the following; P0401 Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected, P0490 Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit high, P0409 Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit, P0299 turbocharger underboost, P1162 & P1351 manufacturer codes. Strangely it runs oK except for the lack of power and the engine management light is off. .Before going for a drive and clearing the codes it also had a low fuel pressure code and the engine management light was on, but neither came back on during the test drive. I have ordered a new fuel filter and the Bluetooth adaptor so that I can hopefully check the fuel rail pressure as the next step to tackling that fault, but am totally puzzled by the other codes, as before any advice would be gratefully received.