Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lesure battery charging
Now before I go and buy a split charger for 2 x 100 amp batterys, I have read that the Berlingo Multispace 2011 Hdi Xtr 1.6 has a smart alternator, these do not work with normal split chargers.
Could anyone tell me if its true or not, I was told that they only give 13.5v out, and the split charger needs 13.8 to switch to the lesure batterys.
Your Reach is further than your Grasp
The split charger I fitted to my Peugeot 407 could be adjusted. There was a procedure to adjust for the voltage to switch it on. I did not need to use it though.
Malcolm.
2001 1.9D Multispace.
Diagbox diagnostics in Northumberland.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to malgpz900 for this post:
  • jtr rhyl
I will look out for the adjustable type, would make life easier and cheaper.
(15-11-2018, 08:32 AM)malgpz900 Wrote:  The split charger I fitted to my Peugeot 407 could be adjusted. There was a procedure to adjust for the voltage to switch it on.  I did not need to use it though.
Malcolm.

That’s a caravan split charger and if there’s any extra load on the battery and it is to be present when the vehicle is running then it is very little use... it’s ok for a caravan and maybe keeping a fridge alive in a caravan, but if there’s any more load than maybe 10-15a ideally you would use a proper decent sized relay and switch that with the smaller caravan item...
Doesn't a caravan split charger charge the caravan's leisure battery from the car anyway? That's what they're for. 10 amps is a massive load, most leisure batteries only need 3 or 4 amps max to charge them.

The genuine Citroen trailer ECU will have a split charger in it, so if you have factory towing electrics just tap in to the caravan charging line.
(01-12-2018, 11:34 AM)hawaiianblue Wrote:  Doesn't a caravan split charger charge the caravan's leisure battery from the car anyway? That's what they're for. 10 amps is a massive load, most leisure batteries only need 3 or 4 amps max to charge them.

The genuine Citroen trailer ECU will have a split charger in it, so if you have factory towing electrics just tap in to the caravan charging line.

Hi - yup they do, I have one of these  in both our Berlingo and the Renault Master and they trickle charge a 110 Ah battery in the caravan. They have the adjustable voltage screw previously mentioned. Cheap as chips but not very durable.

For the two batteries listed this setup would take a heck of a lot of time to charge - have a look at https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Durite-0-727-33...777&chn=ps states it kicks in at 13.3 volts - there's fully crimped kits on eBay for about £60 that include this Durite relay - If you measure across your battery terminals when the engine is running you'll (hopefully) see around 14 volts - the system runs on that value and is independent of the ignition/alternator systems.

Our cars - 'Des' - 2008 1.6 HDi 92 Multispace. 
             - 'Lemmy' - 2008 1.6 HDi 110 Malingering Mini Clubman
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GraemeT for this post:
  • jtr rhyl
Quote:For the two batteries listed this setup would take a heck of a lot of time to charge

That's pretty much going to be the case with anything hooked up to a car. Car alternators aren't that great at charging batteries, they'll top one up, but charging from flat takes forever. I remember reading in the handbook for my Range Rover, it would take over 8 hours to fully charge the car's battery from flat with the alternator, and that was running the 4.4 litre v8 at a constant 2000RPM without any other loads on the electrical system for the full 8 hours. It had a massive water cooler alternator on that!
I have 14.4 volt so should work and at that price iits worth a try.

Thanks for the comments every one.