Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mice Repeller?
Anyone know a good way to keep mice out from the engine bay?

I was looking at ultrasonic devices but reviews are mixed to say the least and I'm not sure how waterproof they would be, even if they are intended for a car.

I did put traps on the battery at one time, but I think the bait just attracts them so I'd rather persuade them not to look around in the first place.
Oh sorry but I had to say......

Summat wrong with your cat? :-)

Our cars - 'Des' - 2008 1.6 HDi 92 Multispace. 
             - 'Lemmy' - 2008 1.6 HDi 110 Malingering Mini Clubman
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GraemeT for this post:
  • Art b
Hi - seriously?
We're out in The Boonies and every year around this time we get invaded by mice wearing clogs who want to over-winter in the attic. Only thing that has worked is poison/bait - cage and traditional traps they seem to ignore and I did wire an ultrasonic thingy up into the attic but that seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

We did use to have a real cat but that made no difference either.

If you are in a fairly private location then you could try laying a few traps and see if your guys are more suicidal than ours. Just don't run out barefoot to get that thing what you left in the car. Cheese is lousy bait btw - peanut butter and bread mushed up works usually and we found bacon rind for the rats was great bait.

Our cars - 'Des' - 2008 1.6 HDi 92 Multispace. 
             - 'Lemmy' - 2008 1.6 HDi 110 Malingering Mini Clubman
(21-11-2018, 06:06 PM)GraemeT Wrote:  Hi - seriously?
We're out in The Boonies and every year around this time we get invaded by mice wearing clogs who want to over-winter in the attic. Only thing that has worked is poison/bait - cage and traditional traps they seem to ignore and I did wire an ultrasonic thingy up into the attic but that seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

We did use to have a real cat but that made no difference either.

If you are in a fairly private location then you could try laying a few traps and see if your guys are more suicidal than ours. Just don't run out barefoot to get that thing what you left in the car. Cheese is lousy bait btw - peanut butter and bread mushed up works usually and we found bacon rind for the rats was great bait.
Google redneck mousetrap.. Tongue

A bucket with a roller over it..

2004 ,1.9d Berlingo Multispace.
called Brian... Smile
(21-11-2018, 06:06 PM)GraemeT Wrote:  Hi - seriously?

Yeah seriously, but no offence taken at your cat joke!
There are cereal crop fields all around the house so lots of mice. Still get some in the loft but a lot less now I have plastic fascia boards. I have traps in the garage and catch a lot of mice at harvest time, then it calms down after September. all a bit of a faff but I'm able to keep things under control.

The problem is the engine bay of my Berlingo. For some reason they love the fabric tape around the wiring and have chewed through the tape in a couple of places and bared the insulation on a couple of wires. I repaired the damage once with rubber tape but they liked that even more than the fabric tape so I covered that area with plastic conduit. All was well for a few weeks, but recently a new area on the injector wiring is being chewed, again it's the fabric tape.
I was thinking about an ultrasonic device, but have read so many negative things about them that I've not bothered. In the past, I put traps under the bonnet but I'm sure the bait attracts more of them. If the damage continues, I'll have to resort to traps again all the same. Just hoped that someone has a solution.
(21-11-2018, 02:16 PM)cancunia Wrote:  Anyone know a good way to keep mice out from the engine bay?

Hide their spanners  Tongue

Check inside your air filter box while you are under the bonnet. There was a bike round at the shop for a service as it was not running well and when the filter lid was off the inside was seen to be full of grain and a nice nest.
So where does this bit go then ?
(22-11-2018, 09:00 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Check inside your air filter box while you are under the bonnet. There was a bike round at the shop for a service as it was not running well and when the filter lid was off the inside was seen to be full of grain and a nice nest.

Yeah, I had them in my MX5 airbox, must confess I'd intended to put some wire mesh over the intake pipe & forgot. Thanks for the reminder.