Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Issue with starts (cold/warm engine)
Hello everybody, I have Berlingo I 1,9D M WJY and unfortunatelly I have a big issue with it. Sometimes, when I want to start the engine, the warning lamp of engine heating does not light up, the engine is cold and it is not possible to start the engine. This issue does occur also while having the engine warm - when I switch off the engine after a ride and switch on it again, the lamp of engine heating does not light up but the engine starts and it has hard sound. The car goes but without perfomance and there is a black smoke coming from the exhaust. What I had changed - relay, candles, battery, cabling (second). Authorized service Citroen does not know how to help. It has 160 000 km. Did someone have this kind of problem? Does someone know what could be the problem and how to solve it? Thank you!

edit: what have been changed - timing belt, candles, heater plug relay, battery (I hope those are the proper names of the parts)

The year of the model is 2002
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the valve clearances?
(26-11-2018, 07:43 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Hello, welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the valve clearances?

Hello Cancunia,

thank you very much for your reply.

Valve clearances have been checked and they are OK. 

Because the issue described above happens only sometimes, it seems it is more electrical issue than mechanical. Nobody knows.

I have spent a lot of money - change of timing belt, candles, heater plug relay.. But the issue still occurs..

I appreciate every help.
There is a way to activate the glow plugs (candles) directly by putting a switch from the battery to the glow plug relay. I think there are some posts about this on here somewhere. I am not sure how long the glow plugs should be switched on but I think it should only be a few seconds so a press button switch is best.
Also, there are many posts online about the fuel pump / immobiliser solenoid. Did you check that fuel is going to the injectors when it is hard to start?
(26-11-2018, 10:00 AM)cancunia Wrote:  There is a way to activate the glow plugs (candles) directly by putting a switch from the battery to the glow plug relay. I think there are some posts about this on here somewhere. I am not sure how long the glow plugs should be switched on but I think it should only be a few seconds so a press button switch is best.
Also, there are many posts online about the fuel pump / immobiliser solenoid. Did you check that fuel is going to the injectors when it is hard to start?

Thank you for the manual how to switch on the candles.

Fuel pump has been also checked and the mechanic guy said it was OK. 

I will read more about the immobiliser solenoid.
So I read about the immobiliser..

I do not think it would be the problem. If so, the issue would happen all the time. But it happens only sometimes.

I think it is more electrical issue, maybe some cables or fuses are KO or have weak contacts.

But the problem is that I cannot find any quality wiring diagram.

edit: I used the key without the chip - it shows me an icon of card with a key.

i used one of these 60a push button switches to work the glowplugs on my 2.0 hdi when the relay packed up, (wired directly)
most diesels run afterglow for a few minutes after startup, but mine ran ok without it and it probably was,nt fitted to the 1.9,s anyway
I have forgotten to share this information, sometimes when the car has this problem (hard sound, weak perfomance and black smoke), after sometime while the drive it switches to the normal regime and the perfomance and sound is normal and there is no black smoke. And also the tachometer and thermometer starts working.
sounds like an electrical fault to me.

someone had something similar here.....https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-5645.html

maybe the red and white can bus wire could be related to your issues? read this...http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic95973-1-1.aspx
(27-11-2018, 08:14 AM)rublehousen Wrote:  sounds like an electrical fault to me.

someone had something similar here.....https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-5645.html

maybe the red and white can bus wire could be related to your issues? read this...http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic95973-1-1.aspx

Yeah, no tacho, no temp gauge, no glow plug light, all point to an electrical fault.
I think the glow plug light is linked to the water temperature on the 2.0 litre, so probably the same on the 1.9

The M49 & M59 will be VANBUS. I didn't read all the way through the thread that you posted, so apologies if this was mentioned in there, but just in case... There are some cases of VANBUS wires at the front near to the battery getting corroded.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • rublehousen