Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] 1.6HDi Airbox Gommets / Alternatives?
Anyone know where to get the lower & upper grommets for a reasonable price, or a good alternative way to secure the airbox? There are plenty of the upper grommets on ebay but the prices seem a bit steep to me for a couple of bits of rubber.

TIA
Wallace
Get them from your local Citroen dealer, will only cost you a couple of quid.

People on ebay are buying them from Citroen and putting them on ebay at a markup+postage, because people don't bother asking their local dealer. Citroen are actually very reasonable for small parts like these.
(26-11-2018, 10:27 AM)hawaiianblue Wrote:  Get them from your local Citroen dealer, will only cost you a couple of quid.

People on ebay are buying them from Citroen and putting them on ebay at a markup+postage, because people don't bother asking their local dealer. Citroen are actually very reasonable for small parts like these.

That's an idea, I'll call them later about the top grommets, but from looking at the parts lists, the bottom grommets are only available as part of the bracket.

----

Update: My local dealer wanted just over £5 each for the top grommets. I thought £4.79 for a pair inc P&P was a bit steep tbh. They must only cost pennies to make.
(26-11-2018, 11:03 AM)cancunia Wrote:  
(26-11-2018, 10:27 AM)hawaiianblue Wrote:  Get them from your local Citroen dealer, will only cost you a couple of quid.

That's an idea, I'll call them later about the top grommets, but from looking at the parts lists, the bottom grommets are only available as part of the bracket.

----

Update: My local dealer wanted just over £5 each for the top grommets. I thought £4.79 for a pair inc P&P was a bit steep tbh. They must only cost pennies to make.

I am also looking to buy a few of these, but price is about the same everywhere, same with gloveboxdirect (a new site I am currently ordering from): https://gloveboxdirect.com/Manifold-Unco...1422A3/p0/
£4.85
smile, you are alive!
(26-11-2018, 11:03 AM)cancunia Wrote:  

----

Yea the bracket last time i looked was about 12 quid and you cant get the grommets on their own! But looking at them they look close to electrical wall box wiring grommets so my be worth a try. 
They probably don't cost a lot to make. But they're still not expensive as car parts go, it's likely your dealer will have them in stock so you don't have to wait for them to arrive. Your old ones have lasted at least 10 years.....

For the bottom grommet I just reused one of the worn top grommets, just force it over the plastic stud so it makes a hole through it. Electrical tape or O-rings also work on the bottom plastic stud. The top ones you pretty much have to use the proper rubber bits, anything else looks a bodge as it's quite visible.
(26-11-2018, 05:32 PM)polar Wrote:  Yea the bracket last time i looked was about 12 quid and you cant get the grommets on their own! But looking at them they look close to electrical wall box wiring grommets so my be worth a try. 

I got a free sample open grommet from vital-parts.co.uk size 14x11x3 (OPG040) for the bottom bracket.
Unfortunately, the 14mm dia for the hole / 11mm for the airbox prong was just a bit too small and the grommet was pushed through by the air box prong. It's now somewhere down behind the engine.
Maybe a larger size would be better. Problem is that while the grommets are only 32p, the postage is £4.85! If you're in Maidstone, you can collect in person.
Cheapest I found were £9.99 for four : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D...UTF8&psc=1

Shifting the comments over from the engine thread what I'm working on re these air boxes - they always seem to loose the grommets. My comments on the other thread were a tad unclear with regards to the bolt - basically this air box had one of the locating lugs snapped off that is meant to plug into the grommet behind the engine. The fix is to drill an 8mm hole and insert a 30mm or so set screw and then do that up with a self locking nut on the outside of the box with a washer. IF you are paranoid about where the air comes from to the fileter then a bonded washer or a wee dab of silicon would seal the hole. You will need to drill the grommet out too with a 7.5mm or 8mm bit. Just make sure that the bolt you fit is not so long that it ends up rubbing on any of the kit below the grommets.

If I was planning on keeping the vehicle for years and years then I would look at replacing those rear two grommets with something like these anti-vibration mountings - they come in male/male/female combos and various sizes so may be worth looking at if you plan to keep the car for a time (or even if you are just a dedicated owner). You'd need to cut and drill the bottom of the box but it would give a bit more of a permanent fitting.

Our car - 2008 1.6 HDi 92 Multispace. 152,000 miles + counting. 17,000 + miles in our care. 48.88 mpg ave in that time