Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] valve clearances
Hi. I am going to change my cambelt soon. 

Im going to check the valve clearances while im at it.

Does anyone know if the valve clearances for a 1.9 diesel DW8b are the same as a XUD9A engine?

thanks

Rob
Berlingo Multispace Forte, 2001, 1.9D, DW8B, WJY,...with a smashing green and yellow interior. 

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rublehousen for this post:
  • Art b
Probably but off the top of my head cannot say for sure but there is a Haynes Manual on this site for free download ( have a search ) and that should tell you.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • rublehousen
(12-04-2019, 07:01 AM)rublehousen Wrote:  Hi. I am going to change my cambelt soon. 

Im going to check the valve clearances while im at it.

Does anyone know if the valve clearances for a 1.9 diesel DW8b are the same as a XUD9A engine?

thanks

Rob

Will be interested in how you get on... Tongue
mine probably need doing..

Someone on here did theirs recently...?

2004 ,1.9d Berlingo Multispace.
called Brian... Smile
I think Arbe was the last to " do " valve clearances.

ArtB you'll soon know if the valve clearances need doing as on a colder day the first engine start will be difficult and every other start afterwards throughout the day will be perfect.

Most people go through the usual rigmarole of changing glow plugs and the plug relay without success - knee jerk reaction of " it has to be xxxx " so I'll buy another one rather than diagnosing / testing the problem.
  • Art b
Rublehousen, the Haynes has plenty of information to assist you nd there are some detailed threads on the Forum which are worth searching and reading if you are a novice and of course pardon me for any egg sucking if applicable.
  • rublehousen
cheers guys. found and downloaded haynes manual.

the valve clearances are the same for DW8 and the XUD. inlet 0.15mm exhaust 0.30mm

as a spontaneous idea to change the cambelt after work on friday night so i would have 2 full days off, i ended up not bothering to check the valve clearances.

started job at 5.30, stopped for tea at 6, dropped the wife off at her friends house at 7, finished job 10pm. if id done the valve clearances id probably been outside on the drive until midnight.

its been over 15 years since i left the motor trade, but i recall one of the other mechanics having a tool to push the buckets down to remove shims without removing the camshaft? looked like a scythe shaped thing i think?.....anyway, i might tackle the valve clearances when more time is available, the Green Meanie starts ok but has just started having half a missfire when stone cold, so i do suspect they need re shimming.
Berlingo Multispace Forte, 2001, 1.9D, DW8B, WJY,...with a smashing green and yellow interior. 

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rublehousen for this post:
  • Art b
(16-04-2019, 07:56 AM)rublehousen Wrote:  cheers guys. found and downloaded haynes manual.

the valve clearances are the same for DW8 and the XUD.    inlet 0.15mm  exhaust 0.30mm

as a spontaneous idea to change the cambelt after work on friday night so i would have 2 full days off, i ended up not bothering to check the valve clearances.

started job at 5.30, stopped for tea at 6, dropped the wife off at her friends house at 7, finished job 10pm. if id done the valve clearances id probably been outside on the drive until midnight.

its been over 15 years since i left the motor trade, but i recall one of the other mechanics having a tool to push the buckets down to remove shims without removing the camshaft? looked like a scythe shaped thing i think?.....anyway, i might tackle the valve clearances when more time is available, the Green Meanie starts ok but has just started having half a missfire when stone cold, so i do suspect they need re shimming.
I did the belt on mine,
And probably should have pulled the camshaft off .. Rolleyes
but it starts and runs well so a job for next year maybe..
Good post,and you could be right about the tool...
Maybe it's on you tube somewhere..?

2004 ,1.9d Berlingo Multispace.
called Brian... Smile
I've seen similar tools for other makes and models.

If i cant buy one I will make one.

I'm the sort of person that would spend an hour making something to make the job easier rather than spend an hour struggling on or doing it the long way. I think this means I'm either ingenious or inherently lazy?... haha

Valve clearances : This is a camshaft out job as shims are INSIDE the buckets, easy to do though.
(16-04-2019, 02:19 PM)geoff Wrote:  Valve clearances :  This is a camshaft out job as shims are INSIDE the buckets, easy to do though.

it was a looooong time ago but im sure the special tool used rested on the edge of the bucket to push the valve down just enough to fish shim out with a telescopic magnet. 

it might have even done two buckets at the same time.

if i get around to doing them i will post pics of my success!....or quietly admit my failure...