Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premature clutch failure 2.0 HDi
My clutch has started slipping, or at least I assume that's what's happening. When already cruising in 5th and then getting to a steep hill, the revs randomly oscillate +/- 500 rpm rapidly and then it stops when there's no more hill!

The clutch was only changed 4 to 5 years ago. About 20k miles max due to a clutch cylinder failure. Clutch was lovely and light for the first 6 months then went back to feeling like you're doing a one legged squat every time you operate it!

It seems unusual to go so quickly right? I have been driving it quite hard the last few weeks (couldn't resist driving it quickly after previously having to drive it in limp for a while because of a knackered MAF) but haven't been hammering the clutch. 

Tempted to change the clutch and flywheel (if necessary) myself to save some pounds. Did a dual mass and clutch on my old Mondeo in the past, don't remember it being difficult, just time consuming and awkward on the drive. Does anyone have some insight of what to look out for regarding this premature failure? There must be something unusual going on. 

Cheers
I dont remember there being a dmf on the 2.0hdi?

As for the slipping you are not going to know until you get the clutch out.
clutch cylinder failure.?? mines a cable clutch.what year is yours
Sorry, have been on holiday - luckily the clutch held out!

No, there isn't a dmf, it's a 2004. Could be the cylinder, would make more sense than the clutch itself being worn as it's fairly new. Petty annoying as the cylinder was replaced so recently.

Is there some sort of known fault that can cause issues that can be modified, I can't afford to replace the clutch every 20k miles.
(02-06-2019, 04:46 PM)cha1n Wrote:  Sorry, have been on holiday - luckily the clutch held out!

No, there isn't a dmf, it's a 2004. Could be the cylinder, would make more sense than the clutch itself being worn as it's fairly new. Petty annoying as the cylinder was replaced so recently.

Is there some sort of known fault that can cause issues that can be modified, I can't afford to replace the clutch every 20k miles.

If it was the clutch,the revs would only increase due to slippage but to drop as well suggests engine management?Which cylinder was replaced,master or slave?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I was assuming that the clutch was slipping sending the revs up and then gaining traction momentarily, causing the revs to return to normal, then repeat. Is this not possible?

This has all started since I fitted a new maf after driving with it disconnected for several years (kept forgetting about it). Could it be something related to the maf not working? Or the opposite? Maf now working and detecting air leak under high load, etc? I may be talking nonsense.
Oh and the slave was replaced.
(03-06-2019, 11:42 AM)cha1n Wrote:  I was assuming that the clutch was slipping sending the revs up and then gaining traction momentarily, causing the revs to return to normal, then repeat. Is this not possible?

This has all started since I fitted a new maf after driving with it disconnected for several years (kept forgetting about it). Could it be something related to the maf not working? Or the opposite? Maf now working and detecting air leak under high load, etc? I may be talking nonsense.
Always go to the last point of reference.If it happened after the MAF was replaced & you have an air leak,may I humbly suggest this is where you look?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Disconnect the MAF and see if the problem goes away.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92