Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch and cambelt change
Hello

It is a 2003 2litre hdi diesel berlingo. What do you think, is it better to remove the whole engine and gearbox from the car to replace the cambelt and clutch or leave the engine in the car?
If you have the facilities to remove the engine, (I guess you do or it wouldn't be a consideration) Yes.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
I have a garage and a chinese engine crane. Unfortunately I do not have a pit or a two post lift so it is not going to be easy.
A clutch change on the floor isn't easy either.

Others may disagree but if I were in your position I would take the engine / box out and do both jobs whist it was out.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(29-06-2019, 07:26 PM)Raul Wrote:  Hello

It is a 2003 2litre hdi diesel berlingo. What do you think, is it better to remove the whole engine and gearbox from the car to replace the cambelt and clutch or leave the engine in the car?

The cam belt is easy to do, the box out on the floor is not ideal but its not worth taking the engine out for. As long as you have a decent hard standing and able bodied leave the engine in.
Ok then. I am not going to remove the engine . I bought a clutch kit made by Valeo. Should I also replace the clutch fork bushes just for to be sure?
If you mean the two plastic bushes that support a vertically mounted operating arm then yes and emphatically yes !

I'd also not remove the engine for a clutch change, done quite a few on different vehicles over the years.

Read the manual for any information and if you need one there is a Haynes Manual on this site for free download.

Personally I'd do the one job at a time, belts / water pump first then the clutch second.

While you have the access and driveshafts out best to check for any soggy engine and gearbox mountings as this would be the ideal time to rectify wear.
Quote:If you mean the two plastic bushes that support a vertically mounted operating arm then yes and emphatically yes !
 Yes I mean those. I have a haynes manual that is a big help. What do you think should I order original parts for those bushes or are the aftermarket bushes also good as well. Changing the clutch is a big job and I want to make sure I do not need to get the gearbox out again. Yesterday I started to strip down things from the engine bay and by the looks it seems quite hard to get some of the bolts from the bellhousing. Do I need some special ratchet for them or are they removable with simple ratchet. Haynes book does not specify it - should I also remove the plastic inlet pipe that goes all the way to the turbo? I removed the air filter box and the rubber grommet between the air filter box and this pipe.
Some years now since I bought new pivot bushes from a Main Dealer so cannot advise on price but they were not expensive at the time.
As you say a lot of work, I'd buy original for this reason.
Air pipe etc, if removal makes your vision and access easier the yes removal is a great idea. Anyway it is so quick and simple it shouldn't trouble you.
Special ratchets ? do you mean access is tight and that your tools are too long ? I doubt " special " tools are required but maybe sometimes the use of a 3/8 drive instead of a 1/2 drive can give more access. The same applies to " Torx " type tools, having both long and short is useful.
None of the above is considered special.

edit : I assume you are fitting a FULL three piece clutch kit rather than just a new pressure plate ?
Yes of course a full kit- pressure plate, friction plate and bearing. I already lost two new clutch cables because of the old worn out clutch so I am not going to take any more chances . Btw what is the reason the old clutch gets so heavy? I sprayed lubricating oil to the clutch fork and bearing area and it made it a little bit easier but the clutch cable eventually went again. The clutch does not slip. Is that the pressure plate gets somewhat hardened due to all the heat etc during its hard life.