Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop start alternator belt
Hello ,can anyone tell me how to replace stop start belt on Xtr berlingo do I put reverse tension on top tensioner pulley and pin lower tensioner pulley!! The non stop start is a lot easier thanks paul
You can change this belt in lots of different ways.
I usually pin the main tensioner & then just hold a spanner on the upper one, as it isn’t that strong.
If the tensioner stick at all, they need replacing.
Dreadful system, we have replaced dozens of these, I even think there is a recall regarding them.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Zcarz
Whats the difference? whats stop/start got to do with the aux belt.
(26-07-2019, 09:15 PM)Peter Palmer Wrote:  Whats the difference? whats stop/start got to do with the aux belt.

Stop start system uses the alternator and starter unit combined so the belt has to turn the engine over.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • Peter Palmer
(26-07-2019, 09:15 PM)Peter Palmer Wrote:  Whats the difference? whats stop/start got to do with the aux belt.

The stop start vehicles have 2 tensioners, as the belt needs to be tensioned on both slack sides depending on which way the drive is being taken up.
As Said, the alternator starts the car when in traffic, so the belt gets a lot more abuse than on a normal car.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Lighty for this post:
  • Tomcat3
Belts and tensioners pah .... perhaps the old Siba Dynastart will make a comeback ?

Better make it quick before 2040 though !

( showing my age now )
Like Peter I was a bit amazed by this idea (I'm rather out of touch with anything newer than 2010 or so), then I looked up the cost of a new start/stop alternator. I'd want a new car for that!

Our cars  2008 1.6  92 Berlingo (His) RIP 2019
              2008 1.6  110 Mini (Hers)
              2008 1.4  70 207 (Sprogs) RIP 2019
Lets hope they are better than the water cooled alternators Bosch made a few years back.
First thing I do when I get in my car is turn off the stop start function (I have to do it every time I get in). Why on earth would I want a massively expensive starter motor or alternator or whatever starts it these days to do more starts than it needs to. Everything will wear out eventually, its madness to bring that onset nearer than it needs to be all in the name of saving kittens.
Aye but I did read that the 'new' stop start saves 5g of carbon per kilometre (and more in town driving) - not sure what that equates to in the grand scheme of things.

Mind you - I do turn off the 'old' stop start in the Mini as it creeps me out when it 'stalls' in traffic (which is not very often around here to be honest) - I guess it is part of the price we pay for driving 'dirty diesels'.

Our cars  2008 1.6  92 Berlingo (His) RIP 2019
              2008 1.6  110 Mini (Hers)
              2008 1.4  70 207 (Sprogs) RIP 2019