Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottom hose.
Good morning, i'm new here.
Had an absolute nightmare trying to find a bottom hose for my van (ended up paying the best part of 80 quid for a citroen original)
Never crossed my mind to ask on here, anyway my mechanic has never changed the hose on a berlingo before!! Any tips or advice welcome please?
Welcome!
What year / engine is your van?
(27-07-2019, 10:20 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Welcome!
What year / engine is your van?

It's a 51 plate 1.9 diesel
Funny thing hoses as these days they don't seem to fail like they did years ago ... anyway, I fitted a new radiator to my old 1.9d van a few years back and didn't have any issues so I guess a hose change will be straight forward for a mechanic.
There are a couple of air bleed points to open when you fill up with coolant, I'd initially overfill as you'll find the level will drop when the thermostat opens - saves you having the low level alarm frighten you.
Need a manual ? there is a Haynes Manual on site for free download.
(27-07-2019, 10:17 AM)BerlindaBerlingo Wrote:  Good morning, i'm new here.
Had an absolute nightmare trying to find a bottom hose for my van (ended up paying the best part of 80 quid for a citroen original)
Never crossed my mind to ask on here, anyway my mechanic has never changed the hose on a berlingo before!! Any tips or advice welcome please?

Hi. I have recently had a radiator problem and purchased a bottom hose [ just in case ] from europarts , I think it was around £40 ish but much cheaper than your £80 that's ridiculous . They are a little fidly and im glad that I got one just in case because removing the old one intact was nigh on impossible . Its got a silly little circlip which attaches it to the bottom of the rad which you must get fitted correctly . When removing the old hose the best way is just to cut it out .You will need to remove the front offside wheel and the plastic arch liner to get enough room as the hose connects to the rear of the engine , a little fidly but do-able by the diy mechanic . Oh by the way I have a spare brand new radiator if you would like it foc , but youll need to collect it  , im in Plymouth .Sorry im far to busy to wrap it up and send it by post .Best of luck Graham.
(27-07-2019, 03:20 PM)bikergraham Wrote:  

Hi. I have recently had a radiator problem and purchased a bottom hose [ just in case ] from europarts , I think it was around £40 ish but much cheaper than your £80 that's ridiculous . They are a little fidly and im glad that I got one just in case because removing the old one intact was nigh on impossible . Its got a silly little circlip which attaches it to the bottom of the rad which you must get fitted correctly . When removing the old hose the best way is just to cut it out .You will need to remove the front offside wheel and the plastic arch liner to get enough room as the hose connects to the rear of the engine , a little fidly but do-able by the diy mechanic . Oh by the way I have a spare brand new radiator if you would like it foc , but youll need to collect it  , im in Plymouth .Sorry im far to busy to wrap it up and send it by post .Best of luck Graham.
(28-07-2019, 10:29 AM)BerlindaBerlingo Wrote:  

Hi graham thanks for the offer of rad. If i covered cost of postage could you get it to me?
I promise i'll do bank transfer if you let me know how much it is.
Can i post my phone number on here?
If you wanna have a chat about it lemme know [That really is a very kind offer] i'm hoping my mechanic can fit new rad/hose on tuesday so it'd have to be fast post i'll stick another tenner on for your troubles. A new one from eurocarparts is £48 [i think] so i'd like to hope it'll be cheaper to post.

(28-07-2019, 10:35 AM)BerlindaBerlingo Wrote:  

sorry just read whole message
(27-07-2019, 01:49 PM)geoff Wrote:  Funny thing hoses as these days they don't seem to fail like they did years ago ... anyway, I fitted a new radiator to my old 1.9d van a few years back and didn't have any issues so I guess a hose change will be straight forward for a mechanic.
There are a couple of air bleed points to open when you fill up with coolant, I'd initially overfill as you'll find the level will drop when the thermostat opens - saves you having the low level alarm frighten you.
Need a manual ? there is a Haynes Manual on site for free download.

Hi geoff there'll be no problem getting the old hose out of the rad as it's just not connected. I'm hoping my mechanic can sort it for me on tuesday.
I'm going to take the citroen original to the car part shop and buy a gates hose for less than half the price of citroen one and then take the citroen one back and get a full refund Wink Wink Wink Wink