Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.9D 2k rpm in neutral and all gears
Hi guys,

1.9D 2005 Van.

Got a few issues which have arisen.

When I start the van from cold it idles fine but refuses to go above 2k.

This is accompanied by a plume of white smoke.

After a couple minutes at about 70C the problem disappears and I can drive as normal.

I also have lost power at high speeds.  The van used to comfortably sit at 70 and above but now I can only hit about 65 on the flat and it will not go any faster, a noticeable difference in power.  It is also producing black smoke at motorway speeds.

Maybe the 2 are linked?

The check engine light is illuminated and has been for 2 years.  I have plugged it into 2 different readers and got no codes back.  Also had it into a garage and they got no codes with all their readers either.  It passed it's MOT with it on as they didn't get a code and it passed it's Emissions test.

Any ideas where I should start?

Got it booked into a garage but any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

-Scott
It seems to me the fuel ratio is not correct, too little= white smoke, too much= black smoke.
Air filter perhaps?
Dodgy EGR valve ?. It may need a decoke , on a 1.9 its not a big job to take it off and see what the insides are like. It sits under the engine cover on the top of the engine. It is operated by vacuum pipes see if all those are still connected and not cracked or burst. It also has a electrical connector.
2001 1.9d DW8B  Berlingo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • ron
(17-08-2019, 07:51 AM)brodfather11 Wrote:  It seems to me the fuel ratio is not correct, too little= white smoke, too much= black smoke.
Air filter perhaps?

You cannot have "too little" fuelling in a diesel.  If that happens the engine will just stall.  There's no real air/fuel mix in a diesel, especially a non-turbo.  It's simply a case of injection timing and volume.

Black smoke at full power does seem to suggest over-fuelling, and checking the air filter/air inlet system for blockages is a good place to start.  However, the combination of white smoke on a cold engine and black smoke at power suggests the injection timing is a mile out.

OP:  Has the vehicle got a rev-counter, and does it work?  This is triggered from the crank TDC sensor, and if this isn't working the engine will do pretty much what you're describing.

Also, IIRC, this engine uses a lift sensor on injector 3 to monitor and adjust it's injection timing.  These don't often fail, but it's worth checking.  Other than that there really isn't much to these engines' fuel injection system.  The dynamic volume/timing advance is done mechanically, so short of catastrophic mechanical failure in the injection pump (again, unlikely) I suspect it is a failed sensor.