Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN issues
My first 'proper' thread, so please be patient if I get it wrong! Let me start at the beginning...

Having apparently got Lexia up and running, I tried the VIN on my log book. The wiring diags database reported 'problem connecting to corvet' (even though I was offline) - I am not worried about that right now as a more serious issue came up with the service manual database. It reported "Unknown Vehicle".

So I checked the plate under the bonnet, only to find that its VIN number is different to the one in the log book, but only by one character. This makes me think that I'm dealing with a typo rather than a ringed car, but before I head on over to DVLA, I tried both numbers in the various online VIN check websites; none recognised either VIN, but one asked if I meant another VIN, and curiously this suggestion only differed from my two VINs with the same character.

Below, I've inserted spaces to make the VINs easier to read.

Log book:
VF7 GJKFWB 93 115***

ID plate:
VF7 BJKFWB 93 115***

web suggestion:
VF7 8JKFWB 93 115***

But, after paying for its report, I was told I have a 2009 Citroen with about 153k miles on the clock, but my car is a 53 model with 55k on the clock!

The problem is with the fourth character, but as this part of the VIN designates the model, engine, safety features, and other basic specs, I am hoping that some for you will be kind enough to compare this with your VINs and give me an idea what mine should be.

In case it helps, the first 3 characters mean, in turn, Europe, France, Citroen, so all your cars should also start with VF7.

Now it gets complicated - Europe uses a different system to the US, but they are supposed to be compatible. In the US, chars 4-8 describe the model, engine etc. as I just said, and char 9 is a check digit, but in EUR chars 4-9 denote model etc and it seems there is no check digit.

But I am hoping that GJKFW or BJKFW or even 8JKFW (either with or without the B which comes next) will mean a 1.4i Berlingo Forte, which is what my car claims to be. So if you have a Forte, or a 1.4i, or even both, it would be very interesting to compare this part of my VIN with yours.

In the US, chars 10 and 11 are a year code and a mfg plant descriptor respectively, so my car was built in whatever plant 3 means, but the year code 9 means 2009 - hence the report I got above - whereas my 53 model should have a 3 here. At least, that is, if Citroen are using the US VIN format? Do they? In EUR these chars don't necessarily have the same meaning.

The last 6 chars are just a serial number, so I think you'll forgive me not putting the last 3 of them online, but if you want to test this VIN in your own Lexia (any feedback on that score would be very welcome too!), then you could probably use any 3 numbers to replace the asterisks.

If it helps, the car's door sticker gives:
RPO 09871
engine TU3JP
gearbox MA 5N

TIA,
Rasputin
What does the vin number in the left side of the dash looking through the windscreen say? does it match your vin plate?
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(14-10-2019, 07:00 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  What does the vin number in the left side of the dash looking through the windscreen say? does it match your vin plate?

Thanks for asking, but there is no windscreen VIN label at all. I will double-check tomorrow though.
I think the first problem is that you probably can't get the wiring diagrams from Lexia, it's probably trying to get them direct from Citroen. For wiring diagrams you need another piece of software called 'SEDRE' that normally comes with ServiceBox which has the repair procedures. You can find both onlne without too much trouble or maybe they came with your Lexia disk. Sedre can be a faff to install.

As far as the VIN is concerned, Lexia should tell you what VIN is stored in the BSI when it first connects. I'm not 100% certain, but there should be a VIN showing through the passenger side of the windscreen, as well as on the plate inside of the engine bay .
Thanks for your help. I didn't know the VIN is stored in the BSI - not seen that mentioned anywhere! I will investigate.
To confirm, there is no VIN number anywhere behind the windscreen at all. As it has a black edge all the way round, I even tried to peek behind it in case it's a replacement screen without a VIN cutout, but I can't be certain whether that's the case.

One bit of good news at least - I did what I should have done before and gave the plate in the engine bay a clean - and the B turned into a G! So the plate and the logbook now agree with each other - phew!

I've only just installed Lexia so have no familiarity with it at all, apart from the abortive trials I mentioned. I did see mention of SEDRE but had no idea what it was - I will have another look later (just got in from a long shift, delivering to Brighton, Orpington and Gravesend). So at the moment have no idea whether it's working but doesn't recognise my VIN, or not working. I bought it on ebay - it came on 5 DVDs if that helps identify it. Will report back when I have news.
If you connect the Lexia interface to the car & the laptop, start Lexia & select the correct model it'll try to make contact & should tell you the VIN & a few other bits of info. You can then go into the diagnosis & global scan. Best to have the ignition on as it'll fail to communicate with some components if you don't. The scan takes a while & stops on 80% or thereabouts for a while but should complete.
Take a look on Youtube, there are quite a few videos on the global scan & other bit of Lexia operation.
(15-10-2019, 04:19 PM)cancunia Wrote:  If you connect the Lexia interface to the car & the laptop, start Lexia & select the correct model it'll try to make contact & should tell you the VIN & a few other bits of info. You can then go into the diagnosis & global scan. Best to have the ignition on as it'll fail to communicate with some components if you don't. The scan takes a while & stops on 80% or thereabouts for a while but should complete.
Take a look on Youtube, there are quite a few videos on the global scan & other bit of Lexia operation.

Well I clearly am on page 1! What I bought came on 5 dvds but had no cables. Just ordered an interface kit, but now I need a cheap laptop, and that's at my bro's house 170 miles away! Luckily I'm visiting next week, so I will just have to be patient.

Thanks for your advice!
You could spend some idle hours installing Sedre & Servicebox on another PC. Be aware that if you want to install Lexia & Sedre on the same PC there can be a clash of certain config files, IIRC, install Lexia first.
(16-10-2019, 07:10 AM)cancunia Wrote:  You could spend some idle hours installing Sedre & Servicebox on another PC. Be aware that if you want to install Lexia & Sedre on the same PC there can be a clash of certain config files, IIRC, install Lexia first.
Thanks for your advice but my car is 20m+ from my home, in a garage without power, and I would imagine a USB cable that long would have line attenuation issues! Plus it seems USB signals do not work well with wireless transmission, so it has to be a laptop. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB.