Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Any tips for bleeding the cooling system 1.6HDi
I'd like to be sure that I have all the air out of the system after changing the water pump. I've been reading up on the subject & the impression I get is that you should run the engine up to temperature with the expansion tank cap off to let any air out?
Problem 1, how do you get the 1.6 engine hot? I had it running for about an hour last night and although the temp gauge went to normal, it barely got warm in the expansion tank. Maybe I should drive for a while with the cap on, then 'very carefully' take the cap off with the engine running?

As usual, all tips, experience & suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Getting the 1.6 hdi hot takes a long time.

Fill the expansion tank, run the engine until the thermostat has opened (top hose hot) then blip the throttle a few times, the air should be out.
Top up the expansion tank if it's down then turn off and let it cool.

Check the coolant level with engine fully cool (overnight) and top up to the correct level, monitor level when cool for the next couple of days.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
I am probably a bit too ignorant, apologies in advance, but would not the air that is in there build up/concentrate in the highest points of the system, i.e. the bleeding screws (one above the thermostat and another at the heating matrix). So, after heating it up and the coolant is cool (overnight) doesn't one just need to unscrew the bleeding screws, let whatever air is there (until it runs coolant), close it up and all is good.
That of course could be done in conjunction to the above mentioned bleeding.
smile, you are alive!
Yes, use the bleeding points also.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
Many thanks for your replies. The reason I was asking is that I think more came out than has gone back in so I'm wondering if there's still some air in the radiator. As JJ9 says, it takes a lot of time to get the engine hot, so the thermostat may not have opened fully or long enough to purge the radiator.
I'll go out for a drive to get the engine up to temp, then carefully take the cap off with the engine running. Hopefully the lack of pressure will allow the air to come out.
Once bled take the car for a drive but have a botle of water sat on the passenger seat - I often find that when the " stat " opens the water level drops and the fluid level alarm comes on, saves you sh***ing yourself that something terrible has gone wrong a few miles from home.