Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo poor cold morning starting.
I have problems starting my 2006 Berlingo on cold mornings. It is perfectly OK during the summer, but immediately the temperature falls below 10C it gives problems.
I have changed the fuel filter.
I have changed the glow plugs, and there is voltage to each one when operated.
Once it has started one it is perfectly OK for the rest of the day. It can take three attempts of heating and turning over the engine before it will start.
I have noticed that below the throttle cable on the injector pump is another cable which is seized and doesn't appear to do anything. Is this some kind of fuel booster?

Andy ideas gratefully received.
If your motor is a 1.9 diesel and you have high mileage and the valves have never been adjusted its probably the exhaust valves closed up and causing poor cold starting. Once warm problem goes away, there is quite a few posts on the forum about it.
The seized cable I think is to do with a cold start solenoid that raises the idle when cold if I remember correctly there are a few threads about that to.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • Art b
Yes sounds like valve clearances - have a search

Don't adjust the " seized " cable !!!

Clearances - new timing belt and camshaft removal to sort it out.
I have a 2.0 hdi , siemens ecu. When the temperature drops to near zero degrees celsius, then it does not want to start. It takes a lot of cranking to get it starting. I already upgraded the starter. I have read that glow plugs do not even activate before -5 Celsius, so they should not cause problems. All I can think of is that the injectors are worn. Or could there be a simpler fix to this problem.
2.0 Hdi is VERY very different to a 1.9d
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • Art b
(06-11-2019, 03:08 PM)Raul Wrote:  I have a 2.0 hdi , siemens ecu. When the temperature drops to near zero degrees celsius, then it does not want to start. It takes a lot of cranking to get it starting. I already upgraded the starter. I have read that glow plugs do not even activate before -5 Celsius, so they should not cause problems. All I can think of is that the injectors are worn. Or could there be a simpler fix to this problem.

probably best to start your own thread on this.

But ive had a quick look at what you have done and i would make sure the battery is strong or a new starter will not make any difference. Check the battery connections including earthing points. After all this i would be looking at getting a diag done with some live data analysis. A leak off test may be worthwhile?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Art b
Very handy to know about the valve clearances at high mileage. I am at 141k, Belt is due at 150k, think it's worth checking then?

On a side note. Manual says the belt lasts 80k... I don't trust that...? 40k?...
^^^ Do both items together while all dismantled - save money !