Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sluggish starting on wet mornings
My 1.4 Petrol (06 plates) has developed an annoying habit of not starting first time on damp mornings (also cold mornings, but especially damp ones) - the starter chugs, then stops, and if I don't turn the key back fast enough the clock display resets itself to 0:00.

However, it always starts the second time - really infuriating, why couldn't it do that before?

I'm assuming at the mo that it is damp in the wiring that is the problem but this is the first all-electronic car I've owned, so I haven't much clue where the important bits are to get the wd40 into (I guess the starter terminals probably a good idea). Suggestiosn would be welcomed!

The other possibility is I know there is a dodgy chip or two somewhere - the drivers side window died on me years ago, and I was told "It's the ship, & a new one is £700 plus from Citroen", while the engine warning light on the dash has stayed on for about the last two years - again apparently a chip fault. Could that be it?

Thanks!

Adrian
It could be the power saving mode. I read that if you switch the lights on and off before you try to start it it comes out of it and the starter turns over properly.
So where does this bit go then ?
(12-12-2019, 10:12 PM)gray1720 Wrote:  My 1.4 Petrol (06 plates) has developed an annoying habit of not starting first time on damp mornings (also cold mornings, but especially damp ones) - the starter chugs, then stops, and if I don't turn the key back fast enough the clock display resets itself to 0:00.

However, it always starts the second time - really infuriating, why couldn't it do that before?

I'm assuming at the mo that it is damp in the wiring that is the problem but this is the first all-electronic car I've owned, so I haven't much clue where the important bits are to get the wd40 into (I guess the starter terminals probably a good idea). Suggestiosn would be welcomed!

The other possibility is I know there is a dodgy chip or two somewhere - the drivers side window died on me years ago, and I was told "It's the ship, & a new one is £700 plus from Citroen", while the engine warning light on the dash has stayed on for about the last two years - again apparently a chip fault. Could that be it?

Thanks!

Adrian

I had this issue with the same symptoms. You wont believe it when I tell you that it was the starter which I repaired & it has been good since then.
Hello - being Scottish I work from cheap to expensive..

Pennies
You could try checking earth straps - there maybe a worn or corroded one between the engine and the chassis. You can attempt to test that by using a decent jump lead well grounded onto the engine block (I don't think you'll get it onto the starter motor itself unless you are double jointed with arms like ET plus eyes on stalks) and the other end direct to the battery earth terminal.
Or just unbolt and wire brush down the existing ones and refit
Or you can just fit an extra strap form any decent gearbox/engine bolt to similar on the chassis.
More pennies
If that don't help then have a look at cleaning up all the positive connections from battery -> starter via solenoids etc etc. 
Pounds
If that don't help - new starter
Our cars  2008 1.6  HDi 92 Berlingo (His) RIP 2019
              2008 1.6  HDi 110 Mini (Hers)
              2008 1.6  HDi 143 Mini (His)  

(13-12-2019, 08:36 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  It could be the power saving mode. I read that if you switch the lights on and off before you try to start it it comes out of it and the starter turns over properly.

Not that one, it seems, sorry!

If I can find the starter motor I'll have to give its terminals a squirt and go from there.

Adrian
Just dropping in for something else, and I thought I'd give you all a laugh at my expense.

Early 2021 the missus's battery expires, try to jump start off mine, and mine won't start either. Two hours and one very, very nice man later we both have new batteries - and no starting problems since.

I didn't believe it was the battery as it always started second time - how wrong could I be? What's impressive is (a) it carried on for over a year still managing to get by on what little grunt was left in the battery and (b) I'm pretty sure it was the battery that was in the car when I bought it in 2010!