Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
berlingo 1.6hdi cutting out.
Evening all,
earlier this year I purchased my berlingo privately after an extensive test run.Being happy with the car I bought it.Drove it 200 metres and it stopped, still ticking over but I was unable to rev it.My son who was with me switched it off,waiting a few seconds and then started it without any trouble.This has occurred several times since then and it runs without any problems in between.However,I feel the time has come to rectify the situation for fear it will eventually stop completely.When it does cut out the engine sounds considerably quieter than when ticking over.
It is a 2009 1.6 hdi xtr90.
Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.New to the forum and a complete novice(but old)-please keep simple.
(13-12-2019, 09:13 PM)artie Wrote:  Evening all,
earlier this year I purchased my berlingo privately after an extensive test run.Being happy with the car I bought it.Drove it 200 metres and it stopped, still ticking over but I was unable to rev it.My son who was with me switched it off,waiting a few seconds and then started it without any trouble.This has occurred several times since then and it runs without any problems in between.However,I feel the time has come to rectify the situation for fear it will eventually stop completely.When it does cut out the engine sounds considerably quieter than when ticking over.
Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.New to the forum and a complete novice(but old)-please keep simple.
The 1st thing I would do,is replace the fuel filter adding a good fuel system cleaner at the same time.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Yes as Ron says fuel filter also air filter and a service is a good idea.

Check in the engine bay for anything that does not look right.

Do above then report back - if still getting problems a diag will be required.

How many miles on the vehicle - does it have a dealer service history?
It does sound fuel related so the fuel filter is a good place to start. I'd also try and get hold of an OBD reader which will work with an App on an Android phone, they are not expensive, for example..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-V1-5-B...SwrR5bjOtC
Check the air filter isn't blocked and that all of the air pipework is in good condition and clear of any obstructions.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(14-12-2019, 09:06 AM)polar Wrote:  Yes as Ron says fuel filter also air filter and a service is a good idea.

Thanks polar and apologies to ron since I can't find ron's reply(not too  good on IT).
The air filter and and fuel filter have recently been changed.
Mileage is 132k approx.
There are no lights coming on.
Will check under bonnet as you suggest.
Turbo replaced not long after purchase.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to artie for this post:
  • polar
(14-12-2019, 09:06 AM)polar Wrote:  Yes as Ron says fuel filter also air filter and a service is a good idea.

Thanks polar.
mileage is approx. 132k.
Some dealer history to just before purchase.
Air filter and fuel filter recently changed.
Will check under bonnet as suggested.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to artie for this post:
  • polar
(13-12-2019, 09:44 PM)ron.Thanks ron,just spotted your answer.Air and fuel filters replaced recently which has had no effect, although I did not include a cleaner.Sorry for delay in reply. Wrote:  
(13-12-2019, 09:13 PM)artie Wrote:  Evening all,
The 1st thing I would do,is replace the fuel filter adding a good fuel system cleaner at the same time.