Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a fault - 130 TD temperature guage low
Hi,I have only just introduced myself,but I have  new (2019) Flair 130D manual, that appeared Finn for the 1st 3 months of ownership.
But come late autumn( co- inciding with <12Ctemperatures I noticed the temperature guage takes ( to me) too long to read 90C.
My understanding is an IC engine is working at its optimum at ( is it) 88C.
Unless the engine is reved beyond 2000rpm it can take at least 20-30 mins to get to 90C.
I have not owned a car in the last 20+ years that does not fairly quickly to 90C.
My wife's 1.0 t Seat Ibeza takes 3 mins to get to 90C.
I have taken the car 2x to my dealer Richmond Portsmouth and advised unless a warning light shows there is no issue.
I contacted Citroen UK,who advised if still an issue to get a certified Citroen garage ( not the dealer I bought the car from) to change the thermostat.

Just seems odd and being a bit old in age, (63)the fault is shades of what used to be fairly common when thermostats stayed open.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Welcome to the forum.

I've not had any experience of the newer K9's but both my older M59 & B9 diesels took a while to warm up. Diesels are more efficient than petrol and produce less heat as a result, so they take longer to warm up. However, 30 mins does seem a while.
(29-12-2019, 09:16 AM)cancunia Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

I've not had any experience of the newer K9's but both my older M59 & B9 diesels took a while to warm up. Diesels are more efficient than petrol and produce less heat as a result, so they take longer to warm up. However, 30 mins does seem a while.

Our M59 doesn't take long to get warm but it never gets high on the gauge, I question the accuracy of the gauge rather than worry about it as the heater is working well and soon warms the cab and clears the screen.
So where does this bit go then ?
20 to 30 minutes is normal for a engine to reach temperature.
Depending on your driving then 30 mins for the DV5 ( assuming similar to the DV6) is about right really.

Modern high pressure diesel units are incredibly thermodynamicaly  efficient - if you have a google around you will see heating up of these types of cars in winter is something of an issue ( particularly in the Scandinavian countries). Ive often thought that some sort of heat exchanger on the return fuel line would help with the cabin heat rather than wasting this to air as is the case currently.

Its one of the reasons having put up with the DW10C for years and its lack of cabin heat until you have done a good half hour ride out is that I am looking at fitting the Defa cabin and block heater system to the DV5 Berlingo - not quite as ideal as the Webasto heater system, but a 10th of the price and much easier to fit from a home mechanic point of view.

You could purchase one of the cheap OBD II display units that are on sale on eBay (other on line sales places are available) I use one in the Picasso as it doubles as a rev counter, but also displays the water temp in degrees (F or C) much more visible and accurate than the gauges fitted to the car.

[Image: s-l640.jpg]

They are OK for £20 or so and double up as a code reader though they dont cancel codes thrown up.

As long as the car gets up to 87 / 88 degrees then its working as it should do.
Citroen C8 - Picasso - Toyota Yaris - Honda Nighthawk - Super Blackbird - Grom