Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New battery and alternator still not charging
Hello guys,

I have a 2016 Berlingo with only 40000 miles, problem I have is the battery isnt charging, I have replaced the battery with new Yuasa battery and also my mechanic has fitted 2 new alternators and still only reads 12.2v- 12.6v with the engine running, mechanic is stumped and suggested i bring it to the dealer.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Colin.
Did he fit new or repaired alternator?
Check earth points on the other side of alternator cables.

In lexia there is an option to check alternator charging.
It is not that good/acurate but is a start of trouble shoot.

Best regards,
brajomobil
what amp's where the alternators, that he fitted............Mine takes 180amp's
b9lad
Thanks for the replies,

before anything was replaced, it had the same problem battery going flat over time until it wouldnt start, replaced battery, same thing would last a couple of weeks then wouldnt start, even after a long run if you put a meter on the battery it would read 11.8, with engine running 12.2, so he replaced the alternator twice 2nd one was 180amp and still the exact same symptoms, battery wont charge properly, brand new alternators each time, had him stumped.
there is not a lot to alternators , as long as they have a 12v feed to get them to work and the output is connected to a battery that's all that's needed.
Either it is not getting a 12v feed (6v-12v will do) or the wiring between the alternator and the battery is bad or it is not earthed properly then it should work.
Unless the alternators are both faulty, unlikely I think, and the new battery has internal faults then it should work.
If he checks for the 12v feed and the output at the alternator terminals  , not at the battery then it will give a clue if the alternators or battery are at fault. 

What's the voltage reading when there's a load on the battery ie  headlights on full.?
2001 1.9d DW8B  Berlingo
get a cheap alternator tester from fleabay...........£4/£5..........handy to have
b9lad
(30-12-2019, 10:29 PM)colinsulby Wrote:  Thanks for the replies,

before anything was replaced, it had the same problem battery going flat over time until it wouldnt start, replaced battery, same thing would last a couple of weeks then wouldnt start, even after a long run if you put a meter on the battery it would read 11.8, with engine running 12.2, so he replaced the alternator twice 2nd one was 180amp and still the exact same symptoms, battery wont charge properly, brand new alternators each time, had him stumped.

Exactly the same fault on a friends car two weeks ago, mechanic did some tests including a drop test, left the battery disconnected over the weekend, batt OK.

Tested the alternator while doing the above and bingo faulty, went for a recon and the first one was a dud so had to wait for a replacement.

Then it was job sorted.

Best of luck with it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to magoo for this post:
  • colinsulby
Would it be possible for someone to put a meter on their battery while the engine is runiing to give me an idea of the voltage the alternator should be putting out on these Berligo vans, I think they have a smart charging system.

thanks
(03-01-2020, 11:46 PM)colinsulby Wrote:  Would it be possible for someone to put a meter on their battery while the engine is runiing to give me an idea of the voltage the alternator should be putting out on these Berligo vans, I think they have a smart charging system.

thanks

Yes a simple voltmeter from any diy store or motor factor when the engine is running it should be pushing out about 14.5 V if i remember correctly. Battery should not drop below 9v when cranking with glow plug also on.
(04-01-2020, 09:54 AM)polar Wrote:  
(03-01-2020, 11:46 PM)colinsulby Wrote:  Would it be possible for someone to put a meter on their battery while the engine is runiing to give me an idea of the voltage the alternator should be putting out on these Berligo vans, I think they have a smart charging system.

thanks

Yes a simple voltmeter from any diy store or motor factor when the engine is running it should be pushing out about 14.5 V if i remember correctly. Battery should not drop below 9v when cranking with glow plug also on.
Thanks for the reply, I have  already tested mine, could someone test their van for me please.