Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misfire 1.4i berlingo van
Hey guys, 

So I got a 1.4i 2006 berlingo van bi fuel.

It's got an intermittent misfire. 

It had the EML on when i brought the van with code p0420 but with no driving problems at all. Deleted code and all was fine for months and quite alot of miles

Then the day before the mot it starts misfiring, uphills mostly and a lumpy idle from cold with no EML. Passed emissions test at mot.

Took spark plugs out and they don't look very old tested continuity ect cleaned them up and stuck them back in.

Changed the coil pack for a brand new one but problem still remains still with no codes.

So I tried running it of LPG to see if I still had the fault and it still has the same fault.

Then driving at 60mph it misfired EML came on and went into limp mode got it home and read the codes they are as follows

trouble codes
p1157 as far as i can tell its a lean code

p0122 TPS circuit a low imput 

P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

po352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

pending code
p0135 02 censor heater circuit

In summary

spark plug seem fine, its had a brand new coil pack, fuel trims are in parameter, can't be fuel pump, pump relay, filter or injectors as it still misfires on LPG. Compression test showed cylinder 1 and 4 are 150psi and cyliders 2 and 3 are 125psi seems to be good compression. 

Anyone have any ideas on this been told by a mechanic it could be the 02 censor but they have not had a look at the van.

Thanks in advance.
I would start by putting new plugs in so you know they are good, seems strange happens uphill has the fuel filter ever been changed it could be causing issues. Is the wiring to the coil pack and connectors all good. Did you buy a decent make coil pack as there are some real crap out there and a decent brand costs money. Sorry cant be more specific.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
(03-01-2020, 07:56 PM)Tomcat3 Wrote:  I would start by putting new plugs in so you know they are good, seems strange happens uphill has the fuel filter ever been changed it could be causing issues. Is the wiring to the coil pack and connectors all good. Did you buy a decent make coil pack as there are some real crap out there and a decent brand costs money. Sorry cant be more specific.

Hi thanks for your reply new plugs are on the list next just trying to justify spending £12.99 per plug as its LPG. If you know of cheaper ones that would be great.

I haven't changed the fuel filter but it can't be petrol related as it happens on LPG.

The ignition coil is bougicord not sure how good they are but its the only one I could get at the time and was the more expensive one any way. I suppose going to the dealership would have been better but had no time.

Wiring all seems ok but I don't have any wiring diagrams to test them.
Disconnect o2 sensor. Just unplug connector.
Take it for spin on petrol and on LPG.
Report back...

Disconnect o2 and engine will be running rich.
Just to rule out lean condition...

Do you have lexia ? 
If yes then post pic of additional info from above error codes.
That would help in diagnose.

Best regards,
brajomobil
(07-01-2020, 07:40 AM)brajomobil Wrote:  Disconnect o2 sensor. Just unplug connector.
Take it for spin on petrol and on LPG.
Report back...

Disconnect o2 and engine will be running rich.
Just to rule out lean condition...

Do you have lexia ? 
If yes then post pic of additional info from above error codes.
That would help in diagnose.

Best regards,
brajomobil

Hi Brajomobil thanks for your reply.

No lexia unfortunately

I have already disconnected the o2 took it for a drive and it ran with no problems.
Then it seems that lean condition is causing your misfire.
Probably your O2 sensor is bad. 

If you want to be 100% sure before you replace 02 sensor
then I need voltage plot over time from your OBD diagnostic program.

This is just for reference: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/ques...-and-p0420

Best regards,
brajomobil
Yeah, the O2 sensor is the likely culprit.
If it suddenly studders during uphills, it means it's running too lean, and the additional stress is enough to overload the engine.
I bet that if you quickly step on the clutch or take it into neutral the engine will return to running 'normal' again.

Source; have a slightly older 1.4i that doesn't always behave as it should...

These engines are very good as long as you take care of them. But ignore tham and they will sulk, whine and finally make your day a complete misery.