Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear washer jet blocked
My rear washer jet is blocked somehow - so badly that the washer fluid was escaping under pressure from the wiper motor housing and through the tailgate!

Tried clearing with a pin and compressed air but no joy. I've now removed the rear wiper assembly and opened it up; wiper fluid inside but no major damage. Still can't seem to clear the jet, though - any suggestions? Thinking of soaking it in something, maybe an acid (vinegar/citric) to dissolve limescale. Can't see down the tube though so not really sure what's in there.

If I can't clear it I'll have to replace the whole motor assembly, which seems a shame as otherwise it's in good nick.
(21-01-2020, 11:03 AM)SteakAndAle Wrote:  My rear washer jet is blocked somehow - so badly that the washer fluid was escaping under pressure from the wiper motor housing and through the tailgate!

Tried clearing with a pin and compressed air but no joy. I've now removed the rear wiper assembly and opened it up; wiper fluid inside but no major damage. Still can't seem to clear the jet, though - any suggestions? Thinking of soaking it in something, maybe an acid (vinegar/citric) to dissolve limescale. Can't see down the tube though so not really sure what's in there.

If I can't clear it I'll have to replace the whole motor assembly, which seems a shame as otherwise it's in good nick.
If you can't clear it,may I suggest an accessory jet fitted to the tailgate? It's a damn sight cheaper that a new motor assy.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(21-01-2020, 08:04 PM)ron Wrote:  
(21-01-2020, 11:03 AM)SteakAndAle Wrote:  My rear washer jet is blocked somehow - so badly that the washer fluid was escaping under pressure from the wiper motor housing and through the tailgate!

If you can't clear it,may I suggest an accessory jet fitted to the tailgate? It's a damn sight cheaper that a new motor assy.

What's an accessory jet? (sorry - google isn't helpful in this case)
(21-01-2020, 08:44 PM)SteakAndAle Wrote:  
(21-01-2020, 08:04 PM)ron Wrote:  

What's an accessory jet? (sorry - google isn't helpful in this case)
It's a stand alone jet that you fit independently .Most accessory shops should be able to supply one.Just make sure you fit it correctly so it does the job.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Success! Removed the jet spindle and soaked in hot citric acid for a bit, then gave it another blast of compressed air; black gunk shot out and the nozzle is clear. Now I just have to clean the gunk off the wall Big Grin

One final question: I'll need to replace the grease for the wiper gears before I put this all back together - any tips on what type to use? There's both metal and plastic moving parts in there. Google tells me silicone grease is a safe bet..?
Yes, silicone grease gets my vote.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
All right, last question on this I promise!

The wiper motor assy was originally mounted via big (7-8mm) pop rivets, which need a big ass rivet gun to install. From a search it looks like most people have replaced them with nuts + bolts - but how do you get between the tailgate's inner & outer metal layers to install?

(I'm thinking of using rivet nuts instead, as they seem like less faff in this application - any thoughts?)
Riv nuts get my vote on blind holes.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace