Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
abs trouble
i have a 2013 berlingo van and the abs light would come on now and again until it has now stayed on, start the engine and warning beep and light on. read as much as i could find on the forums before trying anything, removed front sensors and cleaned the area underneath, tried checking the resistance (no real idea) after youtube video but cannot get a reading on either front so tried one of the rear with no result so must be doing something wrong. replaced everything and tested the van for a few miles to no avail. something i also noticed is that top right of the digital display there is a small red triangle appearing every so often and also the engine fan runs for a few mins everytime its switched off unlike now and again as it used to be. any ideas if all linked or suggestions before i take to a proffessional?

thanks Wayne.
you really need it scanned with PSA Diagbox / Lexia mate, to know exactly what it thinks is wrong. Have you tried going into the display menu on the upper centre console, and navigate to error check, to see if it gives more detail there?

ABS sensors read magnetic pulses from either a reluctor ring or magnetic stripes on the wheel bearings, and I think the B9 Berlingo is the latter (could be wrong on that one) - so not much you can test with a meter, you would have to use a scope and be able to rotate the wheels to check the output pulses. Better to buy Diagbox with the full-chip lexia interface for about £35 from fleabay and after installing on a win 7 or XP laptop, you can scan any Citroen to a very deep level that generic tools can't do.

You could chase your tail endlessly without a proper scan. Diagbox will tell you which sensor, and more importantly what is wrong - like intermittent signal, short to ground, implausible output etc but you can view the output of the ABS as you drive so it should be possible to see & log the datastream from all 4 wheels via the ABS controller in Live Data mode.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
had a look at the display which only gives abs warning and strangely 2x dipped beam bulb warnings which both ok, dont have an older laptop to get a diagbox, will it not work on windows 8?
Lighty has stated a few times that the wiring to the ABS sensors is clipped very tightly and the wiring breaks where the wiring is clipped.

Trace the wiring checking for continuity as you go.
Not sure about windows 8 buddy, I jumped from 7 to 10 on my main laptop but there are plenty of second hand notebooks on 7 for a few quid that would do it. Never liked 8 so didn't use it. It is worth having, especially if continuity checks prove out and don't show anything.

If you are lucky to find a break in the wires then at least you've solved that issue.

The bulb warnings could be old or you could have aftermarket bulbs in that it can't detect as being the correct resistance. A bit weird if they are just conventional filament bulbs and not some kind of night eyes LEDs from China.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(19-02-2020, 07:11 AM)Zion Wrote:  Not sure about windows 8 buddy, I jumped from 7 to 10 on my main laptop but there are plenty of second hand notebooks on 7 for a few quid that would do it. Never liked 8 so didn't use it. It is worth having, especially if continuity checks prove out and don't show anything.

If you are lucky to find a break in the wires then at least you've solved that issue.

The bulb warnings could be old or you could have aftermarket bulbs in that it can't detect as being the correct resistance. A bit weird if they are just conventional filament bulbs and not some kind of night eyes LEDs  from China.

the bulbs have not been changed since I got the van so don't know what's actually in there. any ideas why the fan runs every time it stops?
(18-02-2020, 09:39 PM)polar Wrote:  Lighty has stated a few times that the wiring to the ABS sensors is clipped very tightly and the wiring breaks where the wiring is clipped.

Trace the wiring checking for continuity as you go.

have to wait til rain stops to have a look, hopefully I can find some way of getting it plugged to computer to give me an idea of which wire to sensor to start looking at.
The fans could be running due to another issue such as a DPF regen being halted mid cycle. I think I'd rather get DiagBox on it and see what it thinks is wrong with everything and work from there. There's a thread of DiagBox owners on this forum, might be one near you who could help.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(19-02-2020, 11:59 AM)Zion Wrote:  The fans could be running due to another issue such as a DPF regen being halted mid cycle. I think I'd rather get DiagBox on it and see what it thinks is wrong with everything and work from there. There's a thread of DiagBox owners on this forum, might be one near you who could help.

Any idea were I can find that thread?
(19-02-2020, 12:47 PM)wayno Wrote:  
(19-02-2020, 11:59 AM)Zion Wrote:  The fans could be running due to another issue such as a DPF regen being halted mid cycle. I think I'd rather get DiagBox on it and see what it thinks is wrong with everything and work from there. There's a thread of DiagBox owners on this forum, might be one near you who could help.

Any idea were I can find that thread?

Lexia list 

It's on another forum, not sure how up to date it is, worth a look. I did hear from a pig 207 owner who bought Lexia to find out which wheel sensor was causing his abs light to be on, same as your issue. Lexia diagnosed that the brake fluid was low, that was all. £2 of brake fluid later, it was fixed. Worth a check, but if you plan to keep the Berlingo, get yourself a Lexia and DiagBox kit. Its well worth having for £35, you can barely buy one sensor for that and it wouldn't pay for an hour of labour at a garage. No point in wondering with a complex modern car, get the diagnostic kit for it every time. Saves time and money and you can code in extra functions when you want to.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • wayno