Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PO183 Fault
I have a PO183 fault showing on my 2010 1600 Diesel Multispace. The fault is described as Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit High.

I spoke to a steeler and he didn't know what the sensor is and said it is not shown on his drawing. He said it might be the sensor that is on the side of the fuel filter but didn't really know. I have looked on google and in the manual I have and it really is not very clear where the sensor is and what it looks like.

Is it safe to use the car or will I go out and it will break down?

Where is the sensor actually located and does anybody know what I need to order to resolve this issue please?
2010 Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDi - Chipped
Ok, that code means short to 12v or short to ground on the fuel temperature sensor. Unlikely it would break down but it should be working.

If you find the priming bulb for the fuel system and trace the 2 lines going to and from that bulb, it goes from a 3 way tee connector after the fuel filter, to a 4 way union, with 3 lines going in and one out of it. The fuel temperature sensor is screwed into the 4 way union on the end of it. The sensor has probably failed and needs replacing. The lines on the union are all low pressure (LP) returns to the tank via the fuel cooler so are not pressurised, but you will have to bleed the LP system via the bulb once the sensor has been replaced, till there is no air in the system.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise 
Item 10 is the fuel temp sensor. 13 is the priming bulb on top of the engine towards the back.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-06-2020, 08:55 AM)Zion Wrote:  Item 10 is the fuel temp sensor. 13 is the priming bulb on top of the engine towards the back.

Brilliant, thanks for your input.
No probs buddy.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Zion for this post:
  • old son
(01-06-2020, 06:28 PM)Zion Wrote:  No probs buddy.

I have been using the car since this exchange of comments and it has been fine, running as usual. My wife took the car out today and it cut out twice, the same as it did which prompted me to write and ask the question.

Based on the details Zion sent, I have found the fitting and can touch it but have not yet been able to remove it. What I have found is that the sensor was not actually connected to the wiring loom, the plug was hanging below.

Does it sound feasible that the car will run without this unit being connected? I will give the car a run later to see how it goes but as it's an intermittent fault I am still concerned I might not have found the issue.

I will have to get a reader plugged in again to see what it reports.
It would likely run without it, and the fault you were getting will be due to the plug hanging off perhaps. Could this have been off since you bought the car?

When you say "chipped" in your signature...do you mean remapped, or has a "tuning box"...? One of those can cause cutting out if it acts up.
Thanks Zion. The lead could very likely have been off since I bought the car. It has never ever failed to start or broken down apart from the few times over the past couple of months. I have done almost 40,000 miles in it. The car has a tuning box fitted. I didn't understand how the car can run without the lead fitted and all of a sudden it decides it doesn't want to run but after a couple of spins with the key it starts again?? All very strange.
Hmmm....the reason I asked about a tuning box, is they work by fooling the ECU to read the wrong fuel pressure so more fuel pressure is created and hence more fuel gets injected. They sit between the fuel rail pressure sensor and the ECU. I can easily see a connection between no start, and a failing tuning box. No fuel pressure readings, no start.
(21-06-2020, 03:39 PM)old son Wrote:  Thanks Zion. The lead could very likely have been off since I bought the car. It has never ever failed to start or broken down apart from the few times over the past couple of months. I have done almost 40,000 miles in it. The car has a tuning box fitted. I didn't understand how the car can run without the lead fitted and all of a sudden it decides it doesn't want to run but after a couple of spins with the key it starts again?? All very strange.

That makes sense. I'll see how the car goes now and if it continues to play up I'll bypass the tuning box and try that.

Thanks again for your help.