Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B9 - key fob/ignition/starting problem?
Hi all,

B9 Peugeot Partner Teepee, 2010, petrol.

Driving fine, no issues, not left for any real length of time recently.

Was driving last night, pulled into a petrol station (didn't fill up). Stopped, turned off engine. I think at this point I may have inadvertently done some combination of steps that resulted in something in the car/key being reset or altered (possibly holding brake pedal and ignition on for some period, or something similar).

The car will now not start. When key is in ignition, generally "Economy Mode, Active" shows on the display, various lights flash on the dash, and there is a clicking from glove box area. Cannot hear starter motor turning.

Remote locking does not work. Windows won't go down.

Spare key makes no difference.

I have disconnected the battery a few times, made no difference.

I have done what I believe to be the BSI reset process (http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/content/peug...ot_process), didn't seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might have happened, and what I can do? Are there steps I can take to rule out various problems?

Many thanks,
Duane.
Economy mode, may indicate a low battery. Have you tried to start it using jumper cables?
We had the same issue with a Berlingo B9 at work, and ended up having to get a new battery. We got it jump started from an AA van, which worked for a few days and then the same happened again. A new battery (fitted it myself) cured the problem and it never happened ever again.

I did the BSI reset, but you do have to be able to open the drivers window to do it properly.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise 
Thanks, will try jump start, and take it from there.

I got my partner to sit in the car for the BSI reset so she could do the lights/ignition bits.
You could charge the battery in the house overnight if you have a charger and get it up to full capacity.

Good solution for the BSI reset.
AS others have said sounds like your battery is dead or dying.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Someone else suggested checking the starter motor fuse (see picture), looks fine to me.

Hooked the car up to another with jump leads. Car started fine. Left them connected for 10 mins. Turned off ignition, disconnected leads. Car then wouldn't start again. 

Connected cars again with jump leads, car started again. Kept car on, disconnected leads. Planned to take it for a run to put some charge into the battery. As soon as I dipped the clutch and shifted into reverse, engine cut out.

I now cannot get the car to start using the jump leads - even after being left connected for 10 minutes, it won't start.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does all the above sound like a dead/dying battery then? I have access to a battery charger so can try that.

Just find it odd odd that the car has always started on first turn, including yesterday, when I drove it for about 40 mins, then stopped for 30 seconds at the petrol station, and then wouldn't start after that?
Possible the electrolyte is weak and the plates may have developed crystal deposits over time that bridged adjacent cells and shorted them out, while you were driving. When you stopped and the alternator quit powering the engine, the battery had not enough power to restart by itself.

When you jumped the van recently, the battery is hammering the alternator making it susceptible to cutting out after starting and now the internal structure of the battery is such, that it sucks more energy from the jump vehicle, leaving little to start it at all now. The battery could be bust.
I had a call out to a toyota with possible original battery a couple of weeks ago the car had started first time every time no problem. It had been driven to work the owner came out a while later battery just about clicked the relay. I put new battery on car fired straight up and been fine since. I tested the old battery when I got back and it had a dead cell.
Eco mode usually displays when the car has shut down to conserve electrics ie when radio left on or low on power.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace