Alternator 2.0 HDi Desire 2005
Battery flat on my HDi 2.0 (2005). It was charging at about 11 volts according to the breakdown bloke, which indicates an alternator problem rather than just battery I think.

Is this the right alternator: Bosch, 150 AMP, 14 Volt, as I saw on this forum? And is £150 a reasonable price for a new one? (seems a bit much). Also, it seems fairly easy to do myself - taking off the old one and fitting the new - anything that might be tricky? I'm not a mechanic but reasonably competent with a spanner.

Help appreciated, thanks
(23-12-2011, 12:34 PM)mrberlingo Wrote:  Battery flat on my HDi 2.0 (2005). It was charging at about 11 volts according to the breakdown bloke, which indicates an alternator problem rather than just battery I think.

Is this the right alternator: Bosch, 150 AMP, 14 Volt, as I saw on this forum? And is £150 a reasonable price for a new one? (seems a bit much). Also, it seems fairly easy to do myself - taking off the old one and fitting the new - anything that might be tricky? I'm not a mechanic but reasonably competent with a spanner.

Help appreciated, thanks

Hi, Personally I'd go for a "remanufactured" one, try your lacal motor spares place or Ebay. These will be cheaper and just as good as a new one as long as it's got a decent guarantee with it. As for replacing it -
the drive belt has an auto tentioner which has it's own procedure for setting and don't forget to disconnect the battery. A manual (haynes)would be helpful. Confusedtudy:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
mine was 280 euro in spain.its awkward but not hard.

[/align]
Thanks for the info and advice.
I'm going to see if I can get a reasonable quote from my local garage as my tools are a bit disorganised at the moment..
For info, the alternator ranges from about £350 for a Citroen one to £139 non-Citroen. Needless to say I went for the cheapest one! Labour £80 (all +VAT..)