Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Engine running after removing ignition key
Good afternoon all,

Many months have passed since my last post. However a problem has arisen that is a bit different. A call from the wife told me that she was unable to unlock the car door with the remote so resorted to manual key in lock. Engine started, drove home, switched engine off, took key out ignition and engine continued to run. Eventually , after 10 minutes or so it stopped. During this time a few of the warning light came on stayed on ( unable to say which ). Tried again engine started, same happened but, this time, did not stop at all! So, handbrake on, first gear, stall. Then, reported, clicking or 'funny noises' coming from the engine compartment just prior to stalling motor. Instructed to  disconnect battery as  these various warning lights remained on and really could not risk anything electrical being rubbished. Left with battery unconnected overnight, reconnected but same occurred. Second restart, however, all O.K. and has been so for last three days. This all, as a certain law dictates, all took place when I was away. Now, my best guess is the diesel fuel pump relay  ( sounds of strange clicking ) or ignition assembly. Not so sure on the ignition assembly as the car will fire up with the key, just would not stop. Anybody come across this before? If so, cause? Remedy? I have bought an OBD Bluetooth analyser to be used with iPhone app. I will try this and report back with result and observations on said bit of kit. Prior to test any knowledge would greatly assist.

Thanks guys,

Stay safe,

El Berlingo
Is it a 1.9D?
Hi, No its a 1.6 Diesel 90CV. At the moment, I can't even find the relay! its either bolted to the firewall somewhere or in the cabin fuse box? By the way, it's a left hand drive if that has any bearing. Strangely or coincidentally, the problem returned when I started inspecting the fuse box in the cabin. It has two white lugs that are turned to release the fusebox tray. Maybe its there somewhere but I can not find a picture, video or information on which is which! Haynes has proven useless on this point.

Thanks for any help.

El Berlingo
On the 1.6 & 2.0 the injectors are driven electronically & fed via the common rail HP pump as opposed to the 1.9 which has mechanical injectors and a fuel cut off solenoid in the injector pump.

Curious stuff!
Hi,

Certainly is, that’s the rub! I’m looking at three possible culprits. Fuel pump relay ( which a still can’t locate), ignition relay and steering lock/ignition mechanism. But, why the failure to unlock with the fob? I’ll proceed with the diagnostic test tomorrow and see if anything illuminates the darkness!
Thanks,

El Berlingo
Hi all,
Right! Plugged in the OBD test module which seemed to function as should. Gave back fault codes P1351 (four times in record) and P1462 ( A/C Sensor circuit high voltage) and P0704 ( Clutch switch input circuit ). These last two I think can be ignored. P1351 code is IDM Input Circuit Malfunction/ ignition coil Control Circuit high voltage. So, I'm thinking that a relay is not cutting off the fuel or the ignition? I have searched high and low to identify which relay is which in the fuse box in the cabin (fuses, yes, relays no). I can't find the fuel pump relay which, I'm advised, should be located in the engine compartment on the firewall. Er, not in mine it ain't! And, of course, can I replicate the fault now? No. It's one of those things that will probably manifest itself when you least want or expect it. Anyone any ideas? Observations? Free beer?
Haynes is rubbish and the owners manual only advises as to fuse locations.
Thanks for any help that can be given,
All the best, El Berlingo