Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tv watching ?
Sorry I did a search for tv and couldn't find anything 
does anyone watch tv is some way in their car a van ?
I am thinking of taking my android tablet ( no sim ) and watch maybe tv or you tune when I needed to etc but have no idea how to go about this 
I am not technically minded so it may need to be dumbed down or links to 'the little thing or things ' I may need to keep it simple and cost down
I'm not after watching terrestrial tv or latest live tv just having something I can ' tune ' into if I felt I wanted to ( without relying on a small screen on my phone ( which does have sim of course ) 

Mike
Citreon Berlingo 1.6 Hdi XTR Multispace 5 Seater , Bronze ( B9) 2012 
Hoping to kit out to use as a camper van , possibly with a boot jump Smile
(24-07-2020, 05:55 PM)Michael1965 Wrote:  Sorry I did a search for tv and couldn't find anything 
does anyone watch tv is some way in their car a van ?
I am thinking of taking my android tablet ( no sim ) and watch maybe tv or you tune when I needed to etc but have no idea how to go about this 
I am not technically minded so it may need to be dumbed down or links to 'the little thing or things ' I may need to keep it simple and cost down
I'm not after watching terrestrial tv or latest live tv just having something I can ' tune ' into if I felt I wanted to ( without relying on a small screen on my phone ( which does have sim of course ) 

Mike

Hi Mike.

The way I see it you have a few options for watching TV content on your Android tablet.

1. You could use your wifi connection at home to download some content for offline viewing later. I know BBC iplayer lets you do this so I imagine other content providers do as well.

2. You could use your mobile phones 4g data to set up a wifi hotspot which you could then connect the tablet to. This would allow you to stream from the various channels android apps on the tablet.

3. You could use the murky world of online piracy to download any content you like to the tablet before you leave. This isn't the right forum to be discussing this option further.

4. There are TV tuners available for android devices which let you "tune into" the broadcast tv signal. However these require an external aerial to work, so unless your willing to have a TV aerial fitted your berlingo or only visit campsites where they provide a central TV feed, this isn't really a option.

Hope this helps a little
2013 Berlingo Multispace Plus 1.6 HDI
Hi Mike, as said, connect your tablet to the phone as a hotspot (android phones have this function in the top pull down menu) and if you buy a NowTV pass, you can get a lot of Sky channels for 8.99 a month, or you can get Netflix for 5.99 a month and watch box sets on the tablet. All the other stuff like My5, 4OD, ITVHub, are free but you need still to set your phone as an internet hotspot and connect the tablets WiFi to it. Mind you, I have a 20gb monthly data plan. You can blow 5gb a day watching TV on a mobile if the weather is crap and you're stuck indoors.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Thank you guys for the replies
It looks like downloading content before I go is the option as a starter , didn't really cross my mind for some reason
And will look into the other options when I do longer stay aways

Thanks
Mike
Citreon Berlingo 1.6 Hdi XTR Multispace 5 Seater , Bronze ( B9) 2012 
Hoping to kit out to use as a camper van , possibly with a boot jump Smile
If you have Sky or Eurosport contract at home you can use their "player" for free and watch on your phone/tablet wherever you are, I don't know how much data this uses though, maybe someone can advise
Matt
2019 Multispace BlueHDi 100 Flair Nimbus Grey Met
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matt Haigh for this post:
  • Art b
I used my phone as a hotspot to watch UK TV while in Mallorca, it used 5gb per night. That was 5pm till 11pm.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(26-07-2020, 08:50 PM)Zion Wrote:  I used my phone as a hotspot to watch UK TV while in Mallorca, it used 5gb per night. That was 5pm till 11pm.

That's a hefty chunk of data on a week long holiday!..... thankfully we have E.U data roaming.....for now!

Depending on which phone network you are on you do need to be careful with data roaming, I know with Vodafone some countries are excluded so while we are on this subject we should give the age old warning to read the small print.
You still have the total data limit on your account, mine is 20gb, after that I get charged a premium.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Yeah... another good point, and it usually is a "premium" too!
Yep, O2 is £1 per gb per month, after the cap, so it could get very expensive!

Maybe what to do is buy a Freesat kit, with a pop up dish and box, needs mains power of course but once it's bought, the channels are all free. I think you can get a motorised kit that packs into a plastic tool kit type case, so you can watch TV with no subscription.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van