Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator woes
Photo 
Hi, not a berlingo but a 2007 dispatch but hoping similar enough for some help to come from this forum.
Well, it seems to have stopped charging, only getting just a smidge over 12v when running at the battery and if wipers get turned on 11.5v
there is a loose wire at the alternator but not sure its purpose. added a pic. 2 thin yellow wires but only one connected. 
Any ideas on where i should start to fault find? 

many thanks. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PYE8FRW9hyxWzL576

[Image: PYE8FRW9hyxWzL576]
It looks to me as if it was connected to the red wire along with the other wire and as if its just been pushed into the blue spade connector.
I do not trust those connectors , too prone to corrosion , all right for a quick temporary fix but not permanent.
I would connect it to the others and check the output. Then either get a waterproof connector or solder then together.
2001 1.9d DW8B  Berlingo/ 2010 B9 w a v. 
(05-08-2020, 03:58 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  It looks to me as if it was connected to the red wire along with the other wire and as if its just been pushed into the blue spade connector.
I do not trust those connectors , too prone to corrosion , all right for a quick temporary fix but not permanent.
I would connect it to the others and check the output. Then either get a waterproof connector or solder then together.

Any idea what the 2 yellow wires are? can't find a description online. guessing as they are so thin it would be the exciter but no idea why there are 2.
(05-08-2020, 04:02 PM)AnthonyExeter Wrote:  
(05-08-2020, 03:58 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  It looks to me as if it was connected to the red wire along with the other wire and as if its just been pushed into the blue spade connector.

Any idea what the 2 yellow wires are? can't find a description online. guessing as they are so thin it would be the exciter but no idea why there are 2.

Just checked voltage at the alternator b+ -> ground and getting 14.2v but still no charge voltage at the battery. Is there a fuse somewhere inline?
There's a battery smart monitoring module built in to the positive terminal. It has built in fuse links that look like coloured plastic blocks. The smart module could be faulty. Or one of the main link fuses have blown. Also there are large MF fuses under the top layer of fuses in the main fuse box, it is usually rivetted in. They aren't supposed to be replaceable according to Citroen but might be doable yourself.

Never looked at mine to see if they can be replaced. I'd check all of the above.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise
(05-08-2020, 06:03 PM)Zion Wrote:  There's a battery smart monitoring module built in to the positive terminal. It has built in fuse links that look like coloured plastic blocks. The smart module could be faulty. Or one of the main link fuses have blown. Also there are large MF fuses under the top layer of fuses in the main fuse box, it is usually rivetted in. They aren't supposed to be replaceable according to Citroen but might be doable yourself.

Never looked at mine to see if they can be replaced. I'd check all of the above.

could you post a pic of the module please so i know what to look for.
(05-08-2020, 06:03 PM)Zion Wrote:  There's a battery smart monitoring module built in to the positive terminal. It has built in fuse links that look like coloured plastic blocks. The smart module could be faulty. Or one of the main link fuses have blown. Also there are large MF fuses under the top layer of fuses in the main fuse box, it is usually rivetted in. They aren't supposed to be replaceable according to Citroen but might be doable yourself.

could you post a pic of the module please so i know what to look for.
It's built in to the positive metal body of the battery connector. You have to remove it to get the battery out. See the attached pic, the large metal part - I think the yellow bit is the battery monitor and the coloured blocks are fuse links. It just says in the factory service manual that the smart monitor is built into the positive terminal and can't be removed separately.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-08-2020, 04:33 PM)Zion Wrote:  It's built in to the positive metal body of the battery connector. You have to remove it to get the battery out. See the attached pic, the large metal part - I think the yellow bit is the battery monitor and the coloured blocks are fuse links. It just says in the factory service manual that the smart monitor is built into the positive terminal and can't be removed separately.

Ah, I don't seem to have any of that. My battery is in the foot well of the drivers side. I did look at my very poorly printed haynes manual and in there it looks like the B+ goes to the starter and then back to the battery, but I do have 2 thick wires going into the batter +ive terminal but when probed both are sitting at 12v when the van is running. Still 14.2v at the alternator.
Ah sorry mate, just realised it's a dispatch, never realised the battery was there. Ok, is the 14.2v at the heavy terminal of the alternator? If so, could be an issue with connectors between the alternator and battery plus, or a bad earth cable. Dropping a couple of volts is usually a dirty contact. Maybe worth cleaning all of the lugs with emery paper and refit, also the bolts with a brass or wire brush.