Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle type needed for CC
Okay, for those who haven't seen the other thread COM2000 variants, this one picks up on the type of throttle needed for adding cruise control with Lexia. basically, a cable throttle is no good and it has to be a drive by wire one.

I said earlier that I think I have a hybrid system with a cable from the pedal to a wheel under the bonnet, but then the wheel links directly to what might be a throttle position sensor. Some photos follow; hopefully one of you will recognise what you see and can confirm my throttle setup.

As I said before, the cable (four wires?) runs behind the engine and under the battery tray. I did wonder if it was heading for the BSI, but there was talk earlier of a butterfly valve. Would this link directly with that or would both go to the BSI?

I must admit I'm a hopeless mechanic - I was expecting to find a circular air filter on top of the engine with a carburettor under it but no such luck. The air filter is obviously the big black plastic box to the near side of the engine, and the butterfly valve presumably between it and the engine, but where exactly?

I'll stop here and put other points into other threads, neater and possibly better for future ref. Hope I'm doing right.
Current: 2003 1.4i MS MPV - Lucifer Red
Prev: 2003 1.6 MS Desire - Bile Blue
The throttle cable & TPS look very similar and may even be the same as my '04 2.0HDi which I added Cruise Control to via Lexia.
It's fuel injection, so no carburettor which is a plus when it comes to CC.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • Rasputin
Thanks cancunia for the confirmation.
The engine ECU will control the engine throttle by a motor, so that it can have finer control of emissions, this means you have a good chance of putting CC on it as remote control of engine RPM is needed for the ECU to be able to maintain a speed by itself with no pedal input. I am not sure if the BSI reads the stalk and tells the ECU what to do, but in most vehicles I've seen, the CC function is enabled in both the BSI and the ECU so they must work in tandem to achieve speed control / cruise function / monitor brake and clutch etc.

The throttle TPS will go to an input on the ECU and the ECU in turn will control the engine throttle via a motor on an output, attached to the throttle butterfly, and also control of fuel injection.

Once you get that stalk fitted and DiagBox fired up, you'll be a lot closer to getting it working.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise
An informative explanation, thanks. I now remember seeing somewhere that both BSI and ECU had to be programmed. All I can say now is I'm looking forward to getting that far down the road!
(23-10-2020, 04:47 PM)Rasputin Wrote:  An informative explanation, thanks. I now remember seeing somewhere that both BSI and ECU had to be programmed. All I can say now is I'm looking forward to getting that far down the road!

That's correct, both BSI & ECU need to be configured. I have a crib sheet somewhere if needed, but I think it's covered on here fairly well.