Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Fan running on.
Hi.
I have just purchased a 2014 Citroen Berlingo van, last week.
Today I fitted a fuse under the main fuse board, to activate power to the dedicated towbar wiring, which is supposed to go back to the passenger side tail light.
When I took of the pannels the wireing for towbar is not on my model, so I decided to use this to take a live back from this thick white wire to cambus relay.
On a short journey later when I returned home, the fan ran on for 5 minutes, after the van was switched off.
Temperature was fine as was coolant level.
It is non AC model.
Is this normal, or could I have disturbed something in the fuse unit in engine bay or under glove box.
Any advice greatfully appreciated.
Thanks
Is it a diesel? It was probably doing a DPF regeneration when you turned the engine off. The ECU decides how long the fan runs for, it's quite a while if it was in the middle of a regeneration.

Berlingo systems don't shut down dead like old style cars when you turn off the key.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise
(26-11-2020, 06:50 AM)Zion Wrote:  Is it a diesel? It was probably doing a DPF regeneration when you turned the engine off. The ECU decides how long the fan runs for, it's quite a while if it was in the middle of a regeneration.

Berlingo systems don't shut down dead like old style cars when you turn off the key.
Thanks Zion
Will keep an eye on it.
I did a long journey last Thursday, of a couple of hundred miles, would have taught a regenerate would not have been needed.
But since I have done all short journeys, so maybe it needed to do one.
Thanks Pat

Ps, Do you know if it is ok to run the live for a towbar to cambus relay from cigarette lighter on rear of van?
I have the manafacturer, live found in glove box the thick white wire, but would have to run cable back  to rear of van.
But would have to do alot of stripping.
What advice would you recommend. 
Thanks Pat
Try having a look through these threads:

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-168...bar+wiring

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-3506.html

The cig lighter is only 10A max, you need a bypass relay for the towbar but the cables should already be in the rear passenger side behind the panels. There is normally a small controller for the towbar electrics if fitted from the factory in the same area. But, you need sidelights, brake lights, indicators, reversing lamps etc so a feed from the front is only going to be of use to run the bypass relay itself.

The BSI will have a fit if you connect stuff up randomly to other systems on these vehicles.
Thanks Mate.
No probs mate. Btw when you have a DPF, it catches all of the soot normally generated by the diesel during cold start, heavy throttle in higher gear etc and over time, the soot level reaches a point where it needs to be burned off, that's the regeneration part. The ECU under the right conditions, more than a quarter tank of fuel on board, steady 65 for more than 10 mins etc, coolant at 70+, will start a burn sequence by over injection of fuel and the cat and DPF temps will hit high hundreds of degrees, till the soot level drops.

That's why if you stop and park up when it was doing that, it has to run the fans to get the DPF temp back down so it doesn't stay at 900° while parked up....it's right at the front of the engine.