Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom particle filter issues
Hi Folks,

I new to this so here goes, I have a mk2 2012 1.6 diesel enterprise model panel van. I have owned it since new and never had many problems with it apart from wear and tear. Last November the engine management light came on along with a message “risk of particle filter clogging”. I took the van to the mechanic who has carried out all the servicing/repairs to the van and he said it was strange as the van didn’t have one and he said it must be a glitch in the engine management system, but when a diagnostic was run on it there was no faults.

Since then the van has done 20k with 115k on the clock and runs as well as it ever has, however as the mot was due during lockdown this was extended until 25/12/20 and with this looming I realise that it will fail unless it can be rectified. I’m sorry it’s a bit long winded, but I would appreciate any feedback/advice. 

Thanks in advance

Craig
Unless someone removed the DPF, it should have one. All Citroen vehicles from 2010 are fitted with a DPF immediately after the turbo. Mine is the same van as yours and I have one. Since you've had the van from new, that can't have happened I guess without you knowing. Your mileage is at the point where the Eolys or PAT fluid pouch will be empty (the ECU calculates this from mileage and pings up a message)

Under the floor just in front of the rear wheel, driver's side, is a black tank looking thing with a pump and a bag of Eolys fluid inside. It's used to regenerate the DPF, it should be visible. Most particle filter warnings of clogging are due to low Eolys fluid, as the bag lasts 100k miles then needs replacing. It's about £100 for a new pouch of fluid. The tank thing is a cover, held on by a bolt and when removed, the bag and pump will be visible. There will be a pipe going out of the cover to your fuel tank so it can inject a quantity of fluid into the diesel every time you fill up. It detects the fuel cap being removed and replaced and that triggers it to add the Eolys to the fuel tank.

It wouldn't pass an MOT without a DPF, it's part of the emission requirements as your vehicle is euro5 compliant.

I'd get it checked again by someone who knows what they're looking for. Filter clogging is reported when the soot levels reach a critical point and can't, or haven't been burned off by regeneration, or the oil ash level has reached the maximum in the DPF, or the fluid is about to run out.

The DPF is a big cylinder combined with a cat that is right after the exhaust manifold & turbo, in front of the engine.

Looks like this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/tLX7MHoDQPpSZZrJA
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Thanks Zion,

Is this something that I could sort myself or does it require to be done by a Citroen dealer and if it can be done by myself would the engine management light go off once this is done.
Does a 2009 1.6 model have a dpf?
(03-12-2020, 12:49 AM)Renrut Wrote:  Thanks Zion,

Is this something that I could sort myself or does it require to be done by a Citroen dealer and if it can be done by myself would the engine management light go off once this is done.

You can check the pat fluid by eye, take the black cover off and check the pouch. It unplugs and plugs back in with a new one. You would need DiagBox to reset the indicators as it will not know a new bag had been fitted. You can buy a pouch on eBay and fit it yourself, pretty easy.

Without DiagBox to reset the filter warning, the warning will remain mate. The ECU has to be told the bag has been replaced, really you're resetting the 100k mile limit again.

Maybe a local independent will have DiagBox or you can buy the Lexia DiagBox kit from eBay and install it on a Windows 7 laptop and do it yourself. Maybe there is a member near you who has it ?

Other wise a dealer can reset it. But you need to know if the bag is empty and replace it if it is before getting it reset. You don't want to actually clog the DPF filter or the van will stop working at all. Once it is blocked, there's no way out but a new one or a professional cleaning.

Lots of threads on here about DiagBox (which is the software for Citroen and PSA cars) and Lexia which is the actual interface, tho confusingly the software used to be called Lexia too.

The things DiagBox can do are dealer level. Online it costs from about £50 to £120 now on eBay, but can be a pig to install if you aren't PC savvy.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(03-12-2020, 07:31 AM)paradox1001 Wrote:  Does a 2009 1.6 model have a dpf?

Maybe. Maybe not - you would be on the border there but best to check, as the pouch system preceded adblue (later models have 2 filler caps for diesel and adblue) you can look for the black tank I mentioned under the van or car, just ahead of the driver's side rear wheel. If there's a fairly large black box there, you would have a DPF. Inside that box, is the pump and pouch.

The DPF itself is a big fat cylinder at the start of the exhaust just sitting below the turbo, but previous years would have a CAT there (which is  more bullet shaped at the ends), while the DPF has a large surface area so more barrel-looking.

You could try your vin number in catcar.info and drill down to the right section, may see the DPF listed along with the Eolys bag or pouch, also called PAT fluid.

For anyone needing to replace their pouch, the neck connection has to be the same colour. Citroen used various fluids over the years, denoted by the socket connector colour on the end of the bag, matching the female end it plugs into.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sol for this post:
  • paradox1001
(03-12-2020, 09:36 AM)Zion Wrote:  

Maybe. Maybe not - you would be on the border there but best to check, as the pouch system preceded adblue (later models have 2 filler caps for diesel and adblue) you can look for the black tank I mentioned under the van or car, just ahead of the driver's side rear wheel. If there's a fairly large black box there, you would have a DPF. Inside that box, is the pump and pouch.

The DPF itself is a big fat cylinder at the start of the exhaust just sitting below the turbo, but previous years would have a CAT there (which is  more bullet shaped at the ends), while the DPF has a large surface area so more barrel-looking.

You could try your vin number in catcar.info and drill down to the right section, may see the DPF listed along with the Eolys bag or pouch, also called PAT fluid.

For anyone needing to replace their pouch, the neck connection has to be the same colour. Citroen used various fluids over the years, denoted by the socket connector colour on the end of the bag, matching the female end it plugs into.

Cheers
I’ll have to take a look when I collect the car.
I’m just trying to gain knowledge at the
Moment
It’s good to know of problems and rectifications before they occur
Even though I’ve been working on and restoring vehicles for about 20 years
I’m not knowledgeable on diesels and modern canbus systems etc
This will be the newest vehicle I’ve owned.

You may be able to tell from the VIN number...

Is my HDi the 92 or 110bhp version or does it have a particulate filter?

Easiest way will be to check the VIN when you're at the car. Look in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen behind the passenger wiper arm.

Failing that, depending how efficient the original selling dealer was, it should be written in the front of the service book.

The VIN will read:-

VF7 **9HP* ******** if it's the 92hp with particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HX* ******** if it's the 92hp without particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HY* ******** if it's the 110hp without particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HZ* ******** if it's the 110hp with particulate filter.

(Link to source of above)

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jj9 for this post:
  • paradox1001
And 9HN....75hp also has one on mine.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
(03-12-2020, 12:18 PM)jj9 Wrote:  

You may be able to tell from the VIN number...

Is my HDi the 92 or 110bhp version or does it have a particulate filter?

Easiest way will be to check the VIN when you're at the car. Look in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen behind the passenger wiper arm.

Failing that, depending how efficient the original selling dealer was, it should be written in the front of the service book.

The VIN will read:-

VF7 **9HP* ******** if it's the 92hp with particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HX* ******** if it's the 92hp without particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HY* ******** if it's the 110hp without particulate filter or:-

VF7 **9HZ* ******** if it's the 110hp with particulate filter.

(Link to source of above)

Why is there a load of code or whatever it is mixed in with your post?