Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Revs hanging on up-changes..
Hi all,

Had my little Partner van(2008, 1.6hdi,157k) for going on 4yrs now. Bought it with 125k on the clock. Its been pretty much faultless apart from a crank sensor plug problem. Still starts on the key any weather and never misses a beat. Its now started with a silly symptom that I cant quite pin down.

Going up the gears with a normal rev max of about 2500, the revs hang around for a second or two longer than they did when de-clutched/de-gassed. Sometimes this may blip up another couple of hundred revs beyond that before it decays back to idle. It means that the clutch is then being engaged on a flywheel that is still spinning at maybe 1500-1800rpm which is going to do no good to a perfectly good ORIGINAL..believe it or not.. clutch. Ive cleaned what sensors I can on the throttle body and checked for induction air leaks. When parked out of gear and revved, the throttle responds fine and decays as should do and the 157k clutch pulls it up an hill in 5th and still keeps responding so its not that.
Only fault codes are old egr ones after a valve change.

Im lost, any ideas

Chris
I know what the problem is, had it myself on my old M59 and it's actually more common than some realise. It's the electronic throttle pedal.

Inside under a cover on the pedal body, are two blue springs, that return the sensor in the pedal to zero. They seem to get full of dirt or lose the grease and stick when returning, you can either swap the pedal for a replacement (eBay or scrapper) or open it up and clean / lubricate them..
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise
Nice bit of info there
2015 Berlingo Enterprise 1.6 HDi Look Pack
(26-01-2021, 05:10 PM)Zion Wrote:  I know what the problem is, had it myself on my old M59 and it's actually more common than some realise. It's the electronic throttle pedal.

Inside under a cover on the pedal body, are two blue springs, that return the sensor in the pedal to zero. They seem to get full of dirt or lose the grease and stick when returning, you can either swap the pedal for a replacement (eBay or scrapper) or open it up and clean / lubricate them..

Cheers, Ive got a scrapper pedal thru yesterday so will change it over and see if it cures it. Ive also got a replacement throttle body so will also try that. Seems strange that when sat idling and working the throttle, it revs and decays ok. Its just when in gear and being driven by the engine. Otherwise its a cracking little vehicle for its mileage. We were planning on going up a few years but I cant bare to part with it.

Dont know if you spotted the obvious mistake but I have a Partner - not  the wife, a Peugeot and I am asking questions on the wrong site. I have had so many people calling it a Berlingo IM calling it one now! Thing is, its just a different badge.

My apologies and thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Chris
Obvious I know, but make sure you fit the replacement parts one at a time so you know what the problem was.

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
I found the same, revving it sitting still didn't show the fault, but when you are driving, you're pressing the pedal down farther and for a lot longer in between gears, mine always did it when climbing a hill out of Edinburgh onto the motorway, it was a long steep climb and when I changed up near the top, it always over-revved and hung on for a couple of secs. I began to think it was because the pedal was sticking, and it turned out to be the issue. if you pay attention, when pulling up a long incline, the pedal is near fully depressed for a good while before changing up depending on what gear you are in. it seemed to happen most in 3rd or 4th. Swapping the pedal cured it for me but I did open the old one up and the springs were manky.

Also now I think about it, @geoff had the same issue and he cured his by a battery reset - might be worth a try - see BSI Reset on google / Youtube and try that first before spending much cash.
FYI...
Changed throttle body complete and it "seems" to have cured it. Maybe it was the butterfly sticking.

Thanks for all your advice.
Odd, the 1.6 HDi I have had, don't have a "throttle body" as diesels have no throttle at all. Did you change the Air Doser by any chance? Got a picture of the throttle body you changed? The Doser looks like a petrol throttle body but it isn't one.
Sorry, air-doser. Been a bit premature. Took it on a long run today and it started doing it again. Its done 158k now so what do you expect. Other than that it runs sweet as a nut. Its more of an irritation than anything. Its just.. weird. Only does it when engine warmed up and going thru the gears. Im an engineer and I should be able to fix this, but I cant see any logic to the symptoms. I HATE being beaten!

Time for a valium and a large port...
Me too on both statements. Have you changed the pedal over yet? I did suspect the air doser on mine but the pedal was the issue. Something else you can try as a diagnostic test, buy an EGR blanking plate and slip it into place, then drive it for a while and see how it behaves. If it cures it, your EGR could be sticking - it swivels open as you release the throttle between gears but should snap shut on resuming acceleration.

Maybe it is sluggish to shut or doesn't open quick enough when it should, if the latter then the airflow briefly spikes at the MAF as it should have dropped...causing more fuel to be injected. Making the revs hang till it gets throttle input again.