Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] {SAGA} Timing snapped
Timing snapped on my CB Multispace 1.6 HDI Multispace DV6DTED 9HP 8 valve and the engine is seized. I paid for a replacement engine from Engines on Demand for their mechanic seller to sell the engine out from under my nose costing me almost £700. 

The initial plan was to replace the engine with it being seized. Tried rocking the car back and forth and it won’t move at all, no rotation or anything. I really don’t want to get rid of the car. I know it’s gonna be a lot of work to repair the engine instead of replacing but after being bumped for £700 it seems repair might be the more logical option. What damage am I likely to face from the seized engine and what’s a ballpark figure on the damage it will do to the wallet to have the engine repaired instead of replaced? I know it’ll need mew timing belt, new water pump, new head, new valves, is there anything else it could be needing? 

Would you replace or repair the engine? Scrapping the car isn’t an option, it’s in almost immaculate condition and has more sentimental value than anything else now so would love to get it back on the road
I doubt you will need a new head, the valves are operated via rockers and these normally break saving the head from damage, you may not even need any new valves if yours's aren't bent.

I have no idea of the cost so can't advise on that.

This is a video o the job....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqlyWDrMjU

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
I'd get a refund !!
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
They can't take £700 and keep it without giving you the product you bought or a refund. Did you pay by credit card? Hopefully as you can ring your card issuer and ask them to do a chargeback as you never received the goods. If you paid by bank transfer or debit card, only the seller can refund you.

I'd go to the police for that kind of money, that's fraud.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Paid via their own payment portal via a debit card. Are the rockers on these sacrificial? Would rockers cause the engine to seize?
No, the rockers aren't sacrificial, and no, if they broke, that wouldn't seize the engine.

I assume this model engine is an 'interference' engine...
You are looking at damaged pistons, damaged valves and bent valve stems, damaged valve guides, possibly broken rockers, damaged bearings, posssibly scratched cylinder walls.

It's a mess.
If you want to repair it yourself, it may end up costing you more in parts and tools than to get a refurbished engine to drop in.
(25-02-2021, 06:45 PM)jobbiejew Wrote:  Timing snapped on my CB Multispace 1.6 HDI Multispace DV6DTED 9HP 8 valve and the engine is seized. I paid for a replacement engine from Engines on Demand for their mechanic seller to sell the engine out from under my nose costing me almost £700. 

The initial plan was to replace the engine with it being seized. Tried rocking the car back and forth and it won’t move at all, no rotation or anything. I really don’t want to get rid of the car. I know it’s gonna be a lot of work to repair the engine instead of replacing but after being bumped for £700 it seems repair might be the more logical option. What damage am I likely to face from the seized engine and what’s a ballpark figure on the damage it will do to the wallet to have the engine repaired instead of replaced? I know it’ll need mew timing belt, new water pump, new head, new valves, is there anything else it could be needing? 

Would you replace or repair the engine? Scrapping the car isn’t an option, it’s in almost immaculate condition and has more sentimental value than anything else now so would love to get it back on the road

how much km and years the snapped belt was?
Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6 BlueHDI 100, year 2017
If you like gaming visit GameForest
(25-02-2021, 11:56 PM)jobbiejew Wrote:  Paid via their own payment portal via a debit card. Are the rockers on these sacrificial? Would rockers cause the engine to seize?

Mate, I'd mither the life out of them till they give you that money back. They can't keep it! Online purchases are especially protected by the distance selling act that a refund must be given within 14 days for ANY reason, never mind the fact they don't have the thing you actually bought! Get it back!

And as Gadgetman says the engine will be wrecked. It's happened to me twice in the past and both times the engine was scrap. Bent valves, cracked or bent con rods, it will never be repaired at the cost of a replacement engine.

Get your money back and find a reputable supplier then swap the engine out for an identical unit, same engine model number (9HP etc - if the existing system was Bosch, needs to be a Bosch setup again) or you will need to swap a lot of stuff over. The control system on these are not simple, injection and emissions components need to match what was already there.

I'd you can't get any traction out of that seller, try the local CID, seriously. A phone call from them or a lawyer could be all it takes. Tell the CID these guys took your money and didn't have the engine to sell. It's not legal, they will most likely help. If not, CAB next or a local solicitor.

If they lifted £700 out of your wallet, or took it off you on a street corner, it's theft or robbery. If they take it online and wilfully don't supply the item, that's fraud. No matter how you cut it.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
If you paid by debit card you can ask your supplying bank to do a charge back against the company, not all banks do this and there is a time limit so get on the bank asap. Do not let them get away with this.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
From the description of the engine, it may well be beyond repair. It'll need to come out anyway so maybe take it out and see what's under the head?

Did you buy via this web site?
https://www.enginesod.com/

If so, they have all sorts of words about how safe it is, you need to get in touch with them next.
I now only pay by Paypal,or at worst by credit card if at all possible.