Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Main beam on permanent - BSI?
Hi all
I was in the process of changing the indicator switch

I powered up with no indicator switch (to fix the washer pump) while waiting for the parts and the main beam headlights came on 

Now, when I turn the ignition switch, the headlights come on main beam all the time, with the blue warning light and stay on until I disconnect the battery.
If I pull to flash main beam, they go off and come back on when I release the pull.

Is this a matter of a BSI reset.
My key is in a bad way - I've never used remote, don't think it works

Any help much appreciated,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The pressing of the lock button is only to resync the rolling remote unlock codes. If not used, it won't matter. Follow the rest to the letter without doing the unlock button part.

Assuming the comm 2000 unit is fully connected as are all stalks, then make sure the windows are down and bonnet up, then close the doors and wait till all sounds have ended then proceed with the BSI reset.

The battery disconnect, side lights on and ignition on points are the important ones. You may have sent the BSI into a bad config state by initially doing what you did. Reset should fix it. Post back.
My Van: 2012 B9 1.6 HDi Enterprise
Thanks for your reply.

I tried it a few times and it didn't work, I'm giving the battery a good charge and I'll try again

The protocol says to turn the sidelights on without opening the door, I assume this is without putting the key in the ignition.

But the beam comes on a few seconds after turning the sidelight, then stays on
You need to have the windows down so you dont have to open the door, otherwise that wakes the BSI from sleep mode too early. Put your hand in the open window, turn on the ignition and then sidelights only.

If the full beams come on then you have a wider issue, like a faulty COMM2000 unit (the controller the stalks plug into) or perhaps a faulty or misconfigured BSI.

There is a hard-reset link on the BSi but you will need DiagBox to configure it after doing that. If you have DiagBox and know how to use it to set the BSI options up again, let me know and I'll show you where the hard reset link is on the BSI itself.
(01-03-2021, 11:22 AM)Zion Wrote:  I'll show you where the hard reset link is on the BSI itself.

That might be interesting for future ref.
Ok, here goes. No responsibility taken for cleared configurations....pull the fuse-looking thing marked SH/HS with a green bar along it

If the car won't start or the doors won't work even after a reset, try removing the link marked SH/HS from the BSI for 15 minutes and then replace it.  This may also reset some of the preferences but should at least get you going - the engine should now start if the BSI config was corrupted. It should put at least the basic EPROM config back from when the car was built.
(01-03-2021, 11:22 AM)Zion Wrote:  You need to have the windows down so you dont have to open the door, otherwise that wakes the BSI from sleep mode too early. Put your hand in the open window, turn on the ignition and then sidelights only.

If the full beams come on then you have a wider issue, like a faulty COMM2000 unit (the controller the stalks plug into) or perhaps a faulty or misconfigured BSI.

There is a hard-reset link on the BSi but you will need DiagBox to configure it after doing that. If you have DiagBox and know how to use it to set the BSI options up again, let me know and I'll show you where the hard reset link is on the BSI itself.

Yea, thanks again

I tried ignition then sidelights and sidelights then ignition, main beams still come on...

I know nothing about and have no access to diagbox
Are there various COMM2000 and BSI units about and do they need programming?
It may be easier for me to scrap it now...
I'll leave our resident comm2000 investigator to answer on the variety of those.....@Rasputin....

BSI units can't be swapped, unless virginised first and then need recoded to your car and its equipment options using DiagBox. That's also where your key immobiliser lives so can't just be swapped from a breaker in afraid.

If desperate, try pulling the SHHS link for 15 minutes and see if it resolves the problem. Can't drive around with the high beams on?

If you have no fancy extras like auto AC, ESP, Rain sensors etc, you probably wouldn't notice much difference if any, from a reset BSI using the hard link. Worth a try.
(01-03-2021, 08:23 PM)Zion Wrote:  I'll leave our resident comm2000 investigator to answer on the variety of those.....@Rasputin....

BSI units can't be swapped, unless virginised first and then need recoded to your car and its equipment options using DiagBox. That's also where your key immobiliser lives so can't just be swapped from a breaker in afraid.

If desperate, try pulling the SHHS link for 15 minutes and see if it resolves the problem. Can't drive around with the high beams on?

If you have no fancy extras like auto AC, ESP, Rain sensors etc, you probably wouldn't notice much difference if any, from a reset BSI using the hard link. Worth a try.

I don't know what or where the SHHS link is.

It would be great if you could point me in the direction of BSI hard reset, I've not much to lose

Cheers
I am no expert on com2000s honest! All I can add is that there seem to be hundreds of part numbers for what seems to be the same thing in basic terms - a box of tricks which mounts to the column behind the steering wheel, and from which between two and four stalks stick out.

At the same time, you will find similar and even identical units used across most models in both the Peugeot and Citroen ranges.

Some say that you can swap any for any other; I think there seem to be general updates made every few years (look for com2000, com2003, com2005 etc marked somewhere on it - it is moulded into the back of the unit in the attached photos if you look closely). But whether you can swap freely within each update, or even willy nilly between updates, or must only stick to the same part no. as your original unit, I don't yet know.

What is surprising is that you seem to have removed the indicator switch. It is part of the com2000 unit, as is the wiper switch at top right, and neither should in theory be removable alone, so I have to wonder what exactly you did and whether it caused any damage. Can you post up some photos?

There are a number of Youtube vids showing people dismantling their com2000 in order to repair their indicator or wiper switches; search for 'Citroen / Peugeot wiper / indicator / lights switch'.

There are also several earlier threads on the subject on this forum, so search for those too.

The lower two switch arms are optional and can simply be plugged and unplugged, so did you by chance unplug one of them by mistake? They are for trip meter / cruise control, and for audio control. They do need to programmed with Diagbox as well though.

The com2000 is not merely a junction box used for connecting the switches to the car; it is a complex unit including its own microprocessor, which the switches connect to, then the processor relays its own instructions to the BSI. So if you did manage to remove some switches and then did power the car up with them removed, you could have done damage to the com2000's processor at a guess. Certainly IMHO the failure of BSI resets to cure the problem does suggest that it is localised, possibly to the com2000.

com2000s come up often on eBay and are not expensive - usually around £30-50. I'd suggest you remove your steering column shrouds to reveal the sticker on your com2000 which contains its specific part number (see 2 example photos of the front and top of one) and then do an online search for a replacement, not just on eBay. Swapping it over involves removing the steering wheel, which in turn involves removing its airbag, so make sure you brush up on the right and safe way to do that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Current: 2003 1.4i MS MPV - Lucifer Red
Prev: 2003 1.6 MS Desire - Bile Blue