Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Engine fault, code P1340, jerky accelelaration etc.
Hi guys,
I have a Berlingo 1,6 multispace gasoline 2011 with some 90 000 kilometers under its belt.
It has been regularly serviced and has worked without problems.

Now, I have an issue with the car. It begins when I feel weird jerking acceleration and then the engine fault light comes up.
When I park my car, the ventilator fan runs like crazy. When I check the error codes with a code reader it says P1340 and sometimes also P1340P.
When I erase the errors, the car works like new! But after some time (it can be months of days) it comes up again!

When it appeared first time, a year ago, I erased the error code. All problems disappeared and the car worked ok but I suspected that spark plugs can be the issue. So, I got the spark plugs replaced at the annual service. It was ok for long time but few days ago it came up again! I erased the code and it worked OK for 3 days but today it appeared again. Always the same. Jerky acceleration, then the engine fault light, then after parking the fan stays on.

Is there something i could do by myself before taking it to garage? What could be the problem (spark plugs should be ok)? Anyone experienced similar issue?

Thanks in advance, i am delighted to find this forum Smile

Sorry for my bad english, please ask if you need me to try to explain better.

-Jaakko
This may help! [There was a link here that I have deleted as it may have given bad advice]
(08-03-2021, 05:32 PM)Brixmis7 Wrote:  This may help! http://p1340.enginetroublecode.com/citroen-berlingo

Hi

I just looked through the link provided and could not believe the advice being given  "replace spark plugs every 25 hours of use"

What on earth is that all about?

Geoff
Looks like poor English translation to me, unlike the OP's post above. The whole site has that 'generic' feeling, and contains no clue to its geographical origin, not even by doing a domain name search.

Note that the little graphic of a Berlingo is no such thing - it's just a generic image of a car.

BTW the fault it gives for the code has nothing to do with spark plugs!
53 1.4i MS MPV RIP
53 1.6 MS Desire RIP
08 C4GP 1.9 VTR+
It's a misfire code, could be due to bad coilpack or a fouled spark plug. Worth checking them at least for carbon fouling. The THP engine on the DS3 is well known for it.

Also try disconnecting the MAF when the engine is off then start it and see if it runs ok with it unplugged.

If none of those, maybe something odd like the cam sensor or crank sensor being intermittently bad.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
I had a similar occurrence, especially with the fan thing, no idea what the fault codes were as it was under guarantee and went straight to the garage. But the spark plugs were cleaned and eventually changed at the next service.
After talking with the mechanic at the time and the one at the later service, I can only put it down to the low grade/cheap fuel I had been filling up with.
Now a 2019 K9 1.2 petrol.
Before a 2010 B9 1.6 HDi diesel.
I agree that website showed nonsense though. Generic piffle.
Previous:
2017 B9 1.6 BlueHDi Van
2012 B9 1.6 HDi Van
2008 M59 1.6 HDi Van
2003 M59 1.9D Van
Thank you all for your input! Need to google if I would be able to find and check coilpack, spark plugs and MAF. I am not really a car expert Big Grin

-J
(12-03-2021, 06:32 PM)jaakkole Wrote:  Thank you all for your input! Need to google if I would be able to find and check coilpack,  spark plugs and MAF. I am not really a car expert Big Grin

-J

As your engine is 1.6 petrol, AFAIK it only relies on a MAP sensor rather than MAF. Of course it could be a newer generation engine that has MAF and I am talking out of my back side.
smile, you are alive! Peugeot Partner Escapade (same as M59, but with offroady-ish look) 2007, 1.6HDi 92
https://www.youtube.com/c/moremolecules